News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
1 in 5 emails read on mobile - are your comms compatible?
Back in 2009, when the mobile market looked very different from today, mobile email clients accounted for just 4.16% of activity tracked by Sydney-based email marketing firm Campaign Monitor most of which (95%) was iPhone-based. Boy have times changed.
New data released by Campaign Monitor show a phenomenal rise in mobile email over the last two years. Today one in five emails is read on a mobile device and that can only continue to rise as more people pack the power of a smartphone in their pockets.
Has this up-tick in mobile email use had an effect on the use of desktop client email such as Outlook and Apple Mail? Oh yes. All told they've lost 11% in the last two years. Web-based market share, however, has remained stable over the same period losing just 4% of the market.
The question for marketers is, are you ensuring your emails are designed to render well across not only desktop clients and web-based platforms but also on a variety of mobile devices? Do you know which mobile operating systems block images or support preview text? Does your design work on a small screen? Have you accommodated fat fingers?
"For the last five or so years, email design has really been all about "close enough". With email clients like Lotus Notes and Outlook 2007, pixel perfection has been more or less a pipe dream. You get your template looking close enough across all the big email clients, and walk away somewhat satisfied (satisfied, but with a bad taste in your mouth)," writes Campaign Monitor's David Greiner on the company blog.
"The good news is that all smartphone email clients have great CSS support, far superior to many desktop clients. Your design will work in them. The question you have to ask yourself--is that good enough? "
Email analytics firm Litmus have recently posted a nifty quick reference chart to help ascertain mobile email compatibility.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...