News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands get their social game on
McDonald's have done it and Lady Gaga is about to do it and, according to a report from eMarketer, many more brands will soon be doing it. Doing what? Tapping into social gaming, that's what.
These brands, and more, have jumped on one of the fastest-growing activities on social networks in the last year or so - social gaming.
According to recent research from eMarketer, 53 million Internet users in the US alone played social games at least once a month during 2010. That number is forecast to rise to over 68 million, or 30% of the US online population, by 2012.
Increasingly, brands are inserting themselves into social games through virtual goods, in-game advertising, player exclusives, coupons and campaigns that tie in real-world goods with players' in-game achievements or participation.
In-game advertising has moved on from the days of brazen billboards. They key to inserting a brand into today's social games is the ability to seamlessly fit within the gaming environment.
Previous research has found gamers receptive, even welcoming, of in-game advertising or marketing efforts that add to the game such as product placements or branded virtual goods.
Facebook is set to launch a new in-game ad vehicle - sponsored video. The program involves a partnership with TrialPay and their ad platform Dealspot. Facebook gamers will be paid, in Facebook credits, to watch the videos.
The videos can be closed down at any point but only players that watch the video in its entirety get paid.
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More ad dollars to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...