News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Yahoo study connects relevance to advertising
We all know that targeting ads to specific consumers is a better option than randomly buying a run-of-network media purchase from an online publisher or video website. But if you think all targeting methods are equal, think again. Consumers are reacting more emotionally to two types of targeting, and a more emotional response means better connection and engagement.
New research out from Yahoo and Innerscope Research, contextual and behavioral targeting are getting bigger responses from consumers in the online realm.
Researchers believe that contextual and behavioral targeting get a bigger emotional response from consumers, making those ads more engaging. They studied how consumers reacted to differently targeted ads based on pupil dilation, heart rate, skin conductance and respiration among other factors to determine how consumers were emotionally responding.
• Personally relevant (behaviorally targeted) ads are 25% more attractive than non-relevant
• Consumers' pupils dilated 27% more when seeing personally relevant ads
• Contextually relevant/targeted ads increased 'first fixation' by 15%
• Consumers responded more emotionally to contextually relevant ads
The big jumps in engagement happen when both personally and contextually relevant targeting methods are used. According to the report pupil dilation increased by 40% when both contextual and behavioral targeting were used.
Other studies have shown how either behaviorally or contextually targeted ads engage consumers; in most studies researchers have found that either behavioral or contextual targeting is a better option. This is one of the first studies to show how the two targeting options might work together.
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More ad dollars to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...