News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online shoppers to outspend offline shoppers this Easter
Online shoppers will spend 72% more than their offline counterparts on Easter-related items this year, according to a new study conducted by the National Retail Federation for BIGresearch, although overall spending won't increase past pre-recession levels.
The average online shopper intends to spend $225 on Easter-related items this year, $96 more than offline shoppers, found the NRF's study.
However, before online retailers break open the champers, just 14.8% of consumers said they would make online purchases this coming Easter.
Discount stores are the most popular destination (62.6%), highlighting continued financial concerns, followed by department stores (36.6%) and specialty stores selling clothes, flowers, jewelry and electronic merchandise (30.5%).
The average consumer is expected to spend $131 on items from confectionery to electronics, an increase from last year's $119 but still lower than the pre-recession spending average of $135.
"Easter consumers are eager to celebrate, but they'll still keep an eye on prices and look for sales on food or new outfits," said Kathy Grannis, director of media relations at the NRF.
"We expect spending to increase from last year, slowly inching back to pre-recession levels, but it won't increase past pre-recessionary numbers. In terms of consumers looking for budgets and sales, we're not out of the woods yet."
For those that do choose to order from their armchairs they will spend $46 on gifts, $61 on food, $31 on flowers, $26 on decorations and $17 on greeting cards, the totals of which are all higher than the amounts of cited by offline shoppers.
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
- Report: Millennials spending more time with UGC
- New AdWords format includes detailed consumer opinion data
- Quarter of UK's top finance brands have no mobile website, apps
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....