News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online shoppers to outspend offline shoppers this Easter
Online shoppers will spend 72% more than their offline counterparts on Easter-related items this year, according to a new study conducted by the National Retail Federation for BIGresearch, although overall spending won't increase past pre-recession levels.
The average online shopper intends to spend $225 on Easter-related items this year, $96 more than offline shoppers, found the NRF's study.
However, before online retailers break open the champers, just 14.8% of consumers said they would make online purchases this coming Easter.
Discount stores are the most popular destination (62.6%), highlighting continued financial concerns, followed by department stores (36.6%) and specialty stores selling clothes, flowers, jewelry and electronic merchandise (30.5%).
The average consumer is expected to spend $131 on items from confectionery to electronics, an increase from last year's $119 but still lower than the pre-recession spending average of $135.
"Easter consumers are eager to celebrate, but they'll still keep an eye on prices and look for sales on food or new outfits," said Kathy Grannis, director of media relations at the NRF.
"We expect spending to increase from last year, slowly inching back to pre-recession levels, but it won't increase past pre-recessionary numbers. In terms of consumers looking for budgets and sales, we're not out of the woods yet."
For those that do choose to order from their armchairs they will spend $46 on gifts, $61 on food, $31 on flowers, $26 on decorations and $17 on greeting cards, the totals of which are all higher than the amounts of cited by offline shoppers.
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...