News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online shoppers to outspend offline shoppers this Easter
Online shoppers will spend 72% more than their offline counterparts on Easter-related items this year, according to a new study conducted by the National Retail Federation for BIGresearch, although overall spending won't increase past pre-recession levels.
The average online shopper intends to spend $225 on Easter-related items this year, $96 more than offline shoppers, found the NRF's study.
However, before online retailers break open the champers, just 14.8% of consumers said they would make online purchases this coming Easter.
Discount stores are the most popular destination (62.6%), highlighting continued financial concerns, followed by department stores (36.6%) and specialty stores selling clothes, flowers, jewelry and electronic merchandise (30.5%).
The average consumer is expected to spend $131 on items from confectionery to electronics, an increase from last year's $119 but still lower than the pre-recession spending average of $135.
"Easter consumers are eager to celebrate, but they'll still keep an eye on prices and look for sales on food or new outfits," said Kathy Grannis, director of media relations at the NRF.
"We expect spending to increase from last year, slowly inching back to pre-recession levels, but it won't increase past pre-recessionary numbers. In terms of consumers looking for budgets and sales, we're not out of the woods yet."
For those that do choose to order from their armchairs they will spend $46 on gifts, $61 on food, $31 on flowers, $26 on decorations and $17 on greeting cards, the totals of which are all higher than the amounts of cited by offline shoppers.
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....