News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online shoppers to outspend offline shoppers this Easter
Online shoppers will spend 72% more than their offline counterparts on Easter-related items this year, according to a new study conducted by the National Retail Federation for BIGresearch, although overall spending won't increase past pre-recession levels.
The average online shopper intends to spend $225 on Easter-related items this year, $96 more than offline shoppers, found the NRF's study.
However, before online retailers break open the champers, just 14.8% of consumers said they would make online purchases this coming Easter.
Discount stores are the most popular destination (62.6%), highlighting continued financial concerns, followed by department stores (36.6%) and specialty stores selling clothes, flowers, jewelry and electronic merchandise (30.5%).
The average consumer is expected to spend $131 on items from confectionery to electronics, an increase from last year's $119 but still lower than the pre-recession spending average of $135.
"Easter consumers are eager to celebrate, but they'll still keep an eye on prices and look for sales on food or new outfits," said Kathy Grannis, director of media relations at the NRF.
"We expect spending to increase from last year, slowly inching back to pre-recession levels, but it won't increase past pre-recessionary numbers. In terms of consumers looking for budgets and sales, we're not out of the woods yet."
For those that do choose to order from their armchairs they will spend $46 on gifts, $61 on food, $31 on flowers, $26 on decorations and $17 on greeting cards, the totals of which are all higher than the amounts of cited by offline shoppers.
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
- Ad Roundup: Analysis basis for releases, expansions
- Half of UK charities have no digital strategy
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...