News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
24% of consumers turned off after two negative online reviews
Nowadays very few consumers don't consult the Internet while researching products and services, found a new Lightspeed Research study, with online reviews playing a vital role.
Price comparison may well be the most popular research activity online during the purchase process, with 75% of those surveyed by Lightspeed Research having compared prices online in the last six months, but the online opinions and experiences of other consumers play a vital role, too, for many (61%).
Consumers expect to find product reviews on shopping websites (72%) while around half (47%) seek them out on company websites and 43% on price comparison sites. The majority use search engines to find reviews.
So influential are the opinions of others that over two-thirds (67%) of consumers would be deterred from purchasing a product or service if they were to encounter two or three negative reviews, found Lightspeed's online survey.
In fact, a quarter (24%) said they had changed their mind about buying a product or service after reading two bad reviews while a further 39% said three negative reviews would deter them from making a purchase.
Just 8% said they found online reviews unreliable.
Marketers shouldn't be distracted by new ways of consumer communication such as social media and mobile when basics such as online reviews are an expected and much-referenced resource for many consumers.
"Brands need to be aware of the influence that online reviews have, both positive and negative," said Ralph Risk, Marketing Director at Lightspeed Research Europe.
"There is a real danger that companies will focus on social media because it is so popular and in doing so miss out on the opinions that consumers actually value."
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...