News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
24% of consumers turned off after two negative online reviews
Nowadays very few consumers don't consult the Internet while researching products and services, found a new Lightspeed Research study, with online reviews playing a vital role.
Price comparison may well be the most popular research activity online during the purchase process, with 75% of those surveyed by Lightspeed Research having compared prices online in the last six months, but the online opinions and experiences of other consumers play a vital role, too, for many (61%).
Consumers expect to find product reviews on shopping websites (72%) while around half (47%) seek them out on company websites and 43% on price comparison sites. The majority use search engines to find reviews.
So influential are the opinions of others that over two-thirds (67%) of consumers would be deterred from purchasing a product or service if they were to encounter two or three negative reviews, found Lightspeed's online survey.
In fact, a quarter (24%) said they had changed their mind about buying a product or service after reading two bad reviews while a further 39% said three negative reviews would deter them from making a purchase.
Just 8% said they found online reviews unreliable.
Marketers shouldn't be distracted by new ways of consumer communication such as social media and mobile when basics such as online reviews are an expected and much-referenced resource for many consumers.
"Brands need to be aware of the influence that online reviews have, both positive and negative," said Ralph Risk, Marketing Director at Lightspeed Research Europe.
"There is a real danger that companies will focus on social media because it is so popular and in doing so miss out on the opinions that consumers actually value."
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...