News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
When and why are mobile Internet users searching?
The mobile Internet is fast becoming ingrained in people's lives, particularly among smartphone users. It's not surprising, then, to see a marked rise in the use of mobile search.
Performics' "2011 Mobile Search Insights Study", which focuses on people who use mobile Internet weekly, found that over half (57%) now search the Internet from their devices more than once a day.
When are they searching?
According to Performics', people use mobile search the most at home in the evenings (81%), slightly more than weekend use (80%) or before work (59%).
Mobile search users also reported significant use while running errands (74%), attending social events (56%) and while commuting (47%).
Often, mobile Internet users multi-task, using their smartphones while watching television (66%) or using a computer (45%).
What are they looking for?
Local businesses, take note. The vast majority (84%) are looking for local retailer information such as location and opening hours.
Around the same number (82%) are looking for online retailers, or seeking a specific manufacturer or product website (73%).
Just short of three-quarters of mobile Internet searchers are prompted to search after seeing an ad, and 63% check in-store prices online before making a purchase decision.
The upshot is that mobile search is increasingly important to local business and that growing use of the channel should not be overlooked when developing local marketing strategies.
"This data proves that growing smartphone adoption is permeating all aspects of everyday life," said Daina Middleton, CEO of Performics. "Advertisers still have an opportunity to get in early when it comes to mobile marketing and integrating marketing across screens."
Last month, Performics reported that the share of mobile paid search impressions among their clients continues to rise in 2011. They forecast that this month will see impressions from mobile devices rise above 10%, based on 9.4% recorded for January.
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...