News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report sheds light on gamer demographics
Think you don't need to target gamers because gamers don't use your products? False thinking according to a new report from IGN Entertainment and Ipsos Research. The report finds that not only is the gamer demographic growing - but it's growing older. Although young consumers still make up the bulk of game players, older consumers are beginning to play, too.
According to the IGN report 80% of Gen Z (age 14 and younger) and 50% of Gen Y are gaming, but so are 15% of baby boomers and 30% of Gen Xers. Oh, and these gamers aren't just sitting on the sofa playing around. They are playing games (online and offline), but they are also spending time working out/exercising, going to movies and hitting the bars with friends. Gone, it seems, are the days when gamers were pale, basement dwellers dependant on 'grown ups' for food and clothing.
More than 99 million US consumers are now gamers, with one-third playing at least once weekly but with half (51%) playing games for at least 10 hours per week. How can you engage these game players? First, you have to know who they are. Because of the increase in sheer numbers, researchers have now categorized gamers into three segments: Alpha Influencers, Traditional Cores and Social Mainstreams.
First, Alpha Influencers. These gamers make up about 11% of the category but are very engaged with their interests and share those interests/ideas with friends and family.
Next, Traditional Cores are about 22% of the gamer segment and while very engaged with gaming are actually not skilled at sharing their game interests with non-gamers.
Finally, Social Mainstreams, about 25% of the gaming segment. This is where much of gaming growth is believed to be. These gamers are playing casually and don't consider themselves 'gamers'.
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
- Ad Roundup: Analysis basis for releases, expansions
- Half of UK charities have no digital strategy
- Trends to watch for video in 2017
- 78% of over-55s uncomfortable with concept of stores run by robots
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...