News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report sheds light on gamer demographics
Think you don't need to target gamers because gamers don't use your products? False thinking according to a new report from IGN Entertainment and Ipsos Research. The report finds that not only is the gamer demographic growing - but it's growing older. Although young consumers still make up the bulk of game players, older consumers are beginning to play, too.
According to the IGN report 80% of Gen Z (age 14 and younger) and 50% of Gen Y are gaming, but so are 15% of baby boomers and 30% of Gen Xers. Oh, and these gamers aren't just sitting on the sofa playing around. They are playing games (online and offline), but they are also spending time working out/exercising, going to movies and hitting the bars with friends. Gone, it seems, are the days when gamers were pale, basement dwellers dependant on 'grown ups' for food and clothing.
More than 99 million US consumers are now gamers, with one-third playing at least once weekly but with half (51%) playing games for at least 10 hours per week. How can you engage these game players? First, you have to know who they are. Because of the increase in sheer numbers, researchers have now categorized gamers into three segments: Alpha Influencers, Traditional Cores and Social Mainstreams.
First, Alpha Influencers. These gamers make up about 11% of the category but are very engaged with their interests and share those interests/ideas with friends and family.
Next, Traditional Cores are about 22% of the gamer segment and while very engaged with gaming are actually not skilled at sharing their game interests with non-gamers.
Finally, Social Mainstreams, about 25% of the gaming segment. This is where much of gaming growth is believed to be. These gamers are playing casually and don't consider themselves 'gamers'.
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...