News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report sheds light on gamer demographics
Think you don't need to target gamers because gamers don't use your products? False thinking according to a new report from IGN Entertainment and Ipsos Research. The report finds that not only is the gamer demographic growing - but it's growing older. Although young consumers still make up the bulk of game players, older consumers are beginning to play, too.
According to the IGN report 80% of Gen Z (age 14 and younger) and 50% of Gen Y are gaming, but so are 15% of baby boomers and 30% of Gen Xers. Oh, and these gamers aren't just sitting on the sofa playing around. They are playing games (online and offline), but they are also spending time working out/exercising, going to movies and hitting the bars with friends. Gone, it seems, are the days when gamers were pale, basement dwellers dependant on 'grown ups' for food and clothing.
More than 99 million US consumers are now gamers, with one-third playing at least once weekly but with half (51%) playing games for at least 10 hours per week. How can you engage these game players? First, you have to know who they are. Because of the increase in sheer numbers, researchers have now categorized gamers into three segments: Alpha Influencers, Traditional Cores and Social Mainstreams.
First, Alpha Influencers. These gamers make up about 11% of the category but are very engaged with their interests and share those interests/ideas with friends and family.
Next, Traditional Cores are about 22% of the gamer segment and while very engaged with gaming are actually not skilled at sharing their game interests with non-gamers.
Finally, Social Mainstreams, about 25% of the gaming segment. This is where much of gaming growth is believed to be. These gamers are playing casually and don't consider themselves 'gamers'.
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...