News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Half of U.S. adults access local news via mobile
The latest report from The Pew Internet & American Life Project confirms what many already knew - many Americans enjoy accessing local news and information on their mobile devices, but very few are prepared to pay for it.
Americans turn on their mobile phones or tablets to find information on local events, businesses, news, and entertainment. In fact, according to fresh figures from Pew, almost half (47%) now do so.
But when Pew asked just over 2,200 Americans, "If the only way to get full access to your local newspaper online on your computer, cell phone or other device was to pay a monthly subscription fee, would you pay it or not?" the answer from the vast majority was "no".
Just 23% said they would pay $5 a month to get full access to local newspaper content, and 18% would be willing to pay $10 per month.
Despite almost half the U.S. adult population getting their news via their mobile devices, apps are used by just 1 in 10 - what Pew calls the "app gap". Furthermore, of those that use apps, just 10% pay for them.
According to Pew's report (.pdf), mobile app users skew young and Hispanic. They are also more active news consumers than other adults. They use more sources and even participate in local news either by tagging content, sharing links, or even contributing their own news.
"Many news organizations are looking to mobile platforms, in particular mobile apps, to provide new ways to generate subscriber and advertising revenues in local markets," said Lee Rainie, director of The Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project. "The survey suggests there is a long way to go before that happens."
- Portrait of an affluent consumer
- U.S.: 41 billion online videos watched in May
- Accenture: Execs have tech, need talent to make sense of data
- Study: More people working on home To-Dos from work
- Study: Mobile users will wait
- SendGrid launches email service
- IAB UK: Fashion retailers perform best in mobile marketing
- Mobile offers, coupons big draw for Dads
Featured White Papers
- Transforming Brands into Media Outlets
Storytelling has been around forever, but businesses today need to capitalize on a variety of new tools to tell their...
- 8 Key Plays For Sales Success
Pull ahead of your competition by learning best practices for incorporating these new technologies into your daily sales & marketing...
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...