News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Half of U.S. adults access local news via mobile
The latest report from The Pew Internet & American Life Project confirms what many already knew - many Americans enjoy accessing local news and information on their mobile devices, but very few are prepared to pay for it.
Americans turn on their mobile phones or tablets to find information on local events, businesses, news, and entertainment. In fact, according to fresh figures from Pew, almost half (47%) now do so.
But when Pew asked just over 2,200 Americans, "If the only way to get full access to your local newspaper online on your computer, cell phone or other device was to pay a monthly subscription fee, would you pay it or not?" the answer from the vast majority was "no".
Just 23% said they would pay $5 a month to get full access to local newspaper content, and 18% would be willing to pay $10 per month.
Despite almost half the U.S. adult population getting their news via their mobile devices, apps are used by just 1 in 10 - what Pew calls the "app gap". Furthermore, of those that use apps, just 10% pay for them.
According to Pew's report (.pdf), mobile app users skew young and Hispanic. They are also more active news consumers than other adults. They use more sources and even participate in local news either by tagging content, sharing links, or even contributing their own news.
"Many news organizations are looking to mobile platforms, in particular mobile apps, to provide new ways to generate subscriber and advertising revenues in local markets," said Lee Rainie, director of The Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project. "The survey suggests there is a long way to go before that happens."
- UK: February floods lead to rise in ecommerce sales
- Top 3 tips to create lasting brand buzz
- Expert warns bitcoin has drawbacks for SMBs
- Twitter testing click-to-call
- UK: Mobile ad spend to outstrip newspaper ad spend in 2014
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
- Report: Millennials spending more time with UGC
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....