News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's +1 feature could increase AdWords CTRs
Google has taken its search engine results to a new social level with the launch of a new feature that will allow signed-up users to recommend content and even ads.
The new "+1" feature, launched today, works much the same way as Facebook's Like button.
The feature works by allowing a signed-in Google user to click on a "+1" button, placed next to search results and AdWords ads, to recommend the content.
Anyone in that user's network of Google friends who then searches on a similar topic will be shown those recommended results, among the usual search results, flagged with a note advising that a friend has "+1'd" it.
As per Facebook's Like button, Google plans to allow the placement of "+1" buttons on third party websites.
So what does this all mean for advertisers? Christian Oestlien, Google's Group Product Manager for Ads told SearchEngineLand that "early tests showed there was a lift for ads that featured +1 annotations" and believes advertisers will be pleased with the resulting uplift in response rates and CTRs.
Another interesting element to the feature is that recommendations on organic searches, or on third party websites once the button is made available, may also show up in ads, even if the ad "+1+ button wasn't activated.
There's also the potential for Google to show ads based on a user's previous "+1" activity.
Some in the blogosphere are expressing concern at the potential to "game" the new feature.
What are your thoughts on "+1"?
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
- Study: Finance, saving important to Millenials
- Survey: More consumers want to be paperless
- Survey IDS when customers will share personal data
- Bing: Voice searches for hotels up 343% YoY
- Top 5 tips to take business paperless
- Snap Ads spend rises 593% QoQ
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...