News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's +1 feature could increase AdWords CTRs
Google has taken its search engine results to a new social level with the launch of a new feature that will allow signed-up users to recommend content and even ads.
The new "+1" feature, launched today, works much the same way as Facebook's Like button.
The feature works by allowing a signed-in Google user to click on a "+1" button, placed next to search results and AdWords ads, to recommend the content.
Anyone in that user's network of Google friends who then searches on a similar topic will be shown those recommended results, among the usual search results, flagged with a note advising that a friend has "+1'd" it.
As per Facebook's Like button, Google plans to allow the placement of "+1" buttons on third party websites.
So what does this all mean for advertisers? Christian Oestlien, Google's Group Product Manager for Ads told SearchEngineLand that "early tests showed there was a lift for ads that featured +1 annotations" and believes advertisers will be pleased with the resulting uplift in response rates and CTRs.
Another interesting element to the feature is that recommendations on organic searches, or on third party websites once the button is made available, may also show up in ads, even if the ad "+1+ button wasn't activated.
There's also the potential for Google to show ads based on a user's previous "+1" activity.
Some in the blogosphere are expressing concern at the potential to "game" the new feature.
What are your thoughts on "+1"?
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...