News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's +1 feature could increase AdWords CTRs
Google has taken its search engine results to a new social level with the launch of a new feature that will allow signed-up users to recommend content and even ads.
The new "+1" feature, launched today, works much the same way as Facebook's Like button.
The feature works by allowing a signed-in Google user to click on a "+1" button, placed next to search results and AdWords ads, to recommend the content.
Anyone in that user's network of Google friends who then searches on a similar topic will be shown those recommended results, among the usual search results, flagged with a note advising that a friend has "+1'd" it.
As per Facebook's Like button, Google plans to allow the placement of "+1" buttons on third party websites.
So what does this all mean for advertisers? Christian Oestlien, Google's Group Product Manager for Ads told SearchEngineLand that "early tests showed there was a lift for ads that featured +1 annotations" and believes advertisers will be pleased with the resulting uplift in response rates and CTRs.
Another interesting element to the feature is that recommendations on organic searches, or on third party websites once the button is made available, may also show up in ads, even if the ad "+1+ button wasn't activated.
There's also the potential for Google to show ads based on a user's previous "+1" activity.
Some in the blogosphere are expressing concern at the potential to "game" the new feature.
What are your thoughts on "+1"?
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...