News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google's +1 feature could increase AdWords CTRs
Google has taken its search engine results to a new social level with the launch of a new feature that will allow signed-up users to recommend content and even ads.
The new "+1" feature, launched today, works much the same way as Facebook's Like button.
The feature works by allowing a signed-in Google user to click on a "+1" button, placed next to search results and AdWords ads, to recommend the content.
Anyone in that user's network of Google friends who then searches on a similar topic will be shown those recommended results, among the usual search results, flagged with a note advising that a friend has "+1'd" it.
As per Facebook's Like button, Google plans to allow the placement of "+1" buttons on third party websites.
So what does this all mean for advertisers? Christian Oestlien, Google's Group Product Manager for Ads told SearchEngineLand that "early tests showed there was a lift for ads that featured +1 annotations" and believes advertisers will be pleased with the resulting uplift in response rates and CTRs.
Another interesting element to the feature is that recommendations on organic searches, or on third party websites once the button is made available, may also show up in ads, even if the ad "+1+ button wasn't activated.
There's also the potential for Google to show ads based on a user's previous "+1" activity.
Some in the blogosphere are expressing concern at the potential to "game" the new feature.
What are your thoughts on "+1"?
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....