News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google ramps up efforts to collar counterfeit advertisers
Google has today announced three initiatives that it hopes will help weed out advertisers who try to use its AdWords system to sell counterfeit goods online.
In the last six months of 2010, Google shut down around 50,000 AdWords accounts that attempted to advertise counterfeit goods. In what they call a "cat-and-mouse game" Google says it has been constantly trying to improve practices to keep out "the bad guys".
"While our systems get better over time, counterfeiting remains a complex challenge, and we keep investing in anti-counterfeiting measures," said Kent Walker, Senior VP and General Counsel at Google.
"After all, a Google user duped by a fake is far less likely to click on another Google ad in the future."
So, what are these new three initiatives?
- A speeding up of the time it takes to resolve matters reported using the existing Counterfeit Good Complaints Form, first introduced in 2009, to 24 hours.
- Improved identification of websites linking to counterfeit goods (Google does not allow the placement of its ads on sites linking to counterfeit goods).
- New Help Page with information to make it easier for users and brand owners to identify counterfeit users along with forms to enable easier reporting of abuse.
"Ads for counterfeits aren't just bad for the real brand holder - they're bad for users who can end up unknowingly buying sub-standard products, and they're bad for Google too," said Walker.
- Why your coupons need mobile
- Jivox, vSplash push interactivity with platforms
- Younger B2B buyers' online purchase behavior ignored by suppliers
- Portrait of an affluent consumer
- U.S.: 41 billion online videos watched in May
- Accenture: Execs have tech, need talent to make sense of data
- Study: More people working on home To-Dos from work
- Study: Mobile users will wait
Featured White Papers
- Transforming Brands into Media Outlets
Storytelling has been around forever, but businesses today need to capitalize on a variety of new tools to tell their...
- 8 Key Plays For Sales Success
Pull ahead of your competition by learning best practices for incorporating these new technologies into your daily sales & marketing...
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...