News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google ramps up efforts to collar counterfeit advertisers
Google has today announced three initiatives that it hopes will help weed out advertisers who try to use its AdWords system to sell counterfeit goods online.
In the last six months of 2010, Google shut down around 50,000 AdWords accounts that attempted to advertise counterfeit goods. In what they call a "cat-and-mouse game" Google says it has been constantly trying to improve practices to keep out "the bad guys".
"While our systems get better over time, counterfeiting remains a complex challenge, and we keep investing in anti-counterfeiting measures," said Kent Walker, Senior VP and General Counsel at Google.
"After all, a Google user duped by a fake is far less likely to click on another Google ad in the future."
So, what are these new three initiatives?
- A speeding up of the time it takes to resolve matters reported using the existing Counterfeit Good Complaints Form, first introduced in 2009, to 24 hours.
- Improved identification of websites linking to counterfeit goods (Google does not allow the placement of its ads on sites linking to counterfeit goods).
- New Help Page with information to make it easier for users and brand owners to identify counterfeit users along with forms to enable easier reporting of abuse.
"Ads for counterfeits aren't just bad for the real brand holder - they're bad for users who can end up unknowingly buying sub-standard products, and they're bad for Google too," said Walker.
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...