News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google ramps up efforts to collar counterfeit advertisers
Google has today announced three initiatives that it hopes will help weed out advertisers who try to use its AdWords system to sell counterfeit goods online.
In the last six months of 2010, Google shut down around 50,000 AdWords accounts that attempted to advertise counterfeit goods. In what they call a "cat-and-mouse game" Google says it has been constantly trying to improve practices to keep out "the bad guys".
"While our systems get better over time, counterfeiting remains a complex challenge, and we keep investing in anti-counterfeiting measures," said Kent Walker, Senior VP and General Counsel at Google.
"After all, a Google user duped by a fake is far less likely to click on another Google ad in the future."
So, what are these new three initiatives?
- A speeding up of the time it takes to resolve matters reported using the existing Counterfeit Good Complaints Form, first introduced in 2009, to 24 hours.
- Improved identification of websites linking to counterfeit goods (Google does not allow the placement of its ads on sites linking to counterfeit goods).
- New Help Page with information to make it easier for users and brand owners to identify counterfeit users along with forms to enable easier reporting of abuse.
"Ads for counterfeits aren't just bad for the real brand holder - they're bad for users who can end up unknowingly buying sub-standard products, and they're bad for Google too," said Walker.
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...
- Motivations in the Marketing Mix
Direct targeting of consumers based on their motivations increased message relevance....
- 10 New Ways to Think About Affiliate Marketing Best Practices
Affiliate marketing is big business and it is poised to grow to $4.5 billion by 2016. While affiliate marketing is...
- Create Conversations, not Campaigns
Nobody wants to get blasted. Commercial email marketing has evolved out of the traditional direct-mail mindset, which is all about...