News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook display ad revenues to surge 80% this year
eMarketer forecasts Facebook will effortlessly overtake Yahoo in display advertising revenue during 2011, despite Yahoo's display ad revenues increasing by double digits.
While Yahoo's display ad revenue will increase by a decent 16.4% to $1.65billion this year, the world's most popular social network will see its display ad revenues surge by a massive 80.9%.
In 2011, Facebook will command 21.6% of all online display ad dollars in the U.S., or $2.19 billion, says the eMarketer report, up from 13.6% last year and 7.3% in 2009.
Facebook's revenue share is set to rise further in 2012 to 23.8%.
Google is expected to pass Yahoo and fall into second place in display advertising by 2012 with 16.7% of the market.
"Yahoo!'s US display ad revenues will increase by double digits each year from 2010 through 2012. Despite that, not only will Facebook's display revenues surpass Yahoo!'s this year, Google's revenues will exceed Yahoo!'s next year," said David Hallerman, principal analyst at eMarketer.
"What that leapfrogging trend confirms is the strong demand among brand marketers for online display ad placements."
However, while Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz agrees Facebook is the company's biggest competitor, she believes the offerings of the two companies are not comparable.
"There's some confusion about whether Facebook leads in display advertising," she said. "It's because they have a lot of little impressions. We actually lead in display revenue."
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
- Reports: Social, Cloud offering assist to small businesses
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...