News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook display ad revenues to surge 80% this year
eMarketer forecasts Facebook will effortlessly overtake Yahoo in display advertising revenue during 2011, despite Yahoo's display ad revenues increasing by double digits.
While Yahoo's display ad revenue will increase by a decent 16.4% to $1.65billion this year, the world's most popular social network will see its display ad revenues surge by a massive 80.9%.
In 2011, Facebook will command 21.6% of all online display ad dollars in the U.S., or $2.19 billion, says the eMarketer report, up from 13.6% last year and 7.3% in 2009.
Facebook's revenue share is set to rise further in 2012 to 23.8%.
Google is expected to pass Yahoo and fall into second place in display advertising by 2012 with 16.7% of the market.
"Yahoo!'s US display ad revenues will increase by double digits each year from 2010 through 2012. Despite that, not only will Facebook's display revenues surpass Yahoo!'s this year, Google's revenues will exceed Yahoo!'s next year," said David Hallerman, principal analyst at eMarketer.
"What that leapfrogging trend confirms is the strong demand among brand marketers for online display ad placements."
However, while Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz agrees Facebook is the company's biggest competitor, she believes the offerings of the two companies are not comparable.
"There's some confusion about whether Facebook leads in display advertising," she said. "It's because they have a lot of little impressions. We actually lead in display revenue."
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...