News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
OTA: 10 billion+ ad impressions carried malware in 2010
Display ads are one of the major culprits serving up malware to unsuspecting Internet users, according to recent research from the Online Trust Alliance. In 2010, in excess of 10 billion infected ad impressions were estimated to have been served.
Ads that find their way in to the supply chain from "unverified ad agencies" are the main carriers of malicious code, found the Online Trust Alliance. Many of these display ads originate outside the U.S.
While 10 billion is but a mere fraction of the total number of ad impressions served each year (U.S. Internet users alone received a total of 4.9 trillion display ads in 2010), Craig Spiezle, executive director of the OTA says this estimate is extremely conservative.
"We know it's well over 10 billion impressions," he said. "The challenge is this is a moving landscape."
The problem mainly lies in the outsourcing of advertising to multiple networks which, in turn, distribute ads out to yet more sites. It makes spotting malicious ads much more complicated.
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...