News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google enables Android developers to further monetize apps
If you're in the business of developing apps for Android you will be delighted with the latest announcement from Google that they will now support in-app purchases.
A big beef within the Android application developer community has been the proliferation of free apps. This, in turn, has created an expectation among consumers that all apps should be free, severely limiting the monetization of app products.
However, that's all about to change with Google's announcement on Wednesday that a new SDK, specifically for in-app purchases, is now available to developers. The move will enable in-app payments for items such as downloadable game levels, virtual currency, or unlocking certain features or premium versions of a game or app.
"The In-app Billing service manages billing transactions between apps and users, providing a consistent purchasing experience with familiar forms of payment across all apps," said Android developer, Eric Chu, on the Android Developers blog.
"At the same time, it gives you full control over how your digital goods are purchased and tracked. You can let Android Market manage and track the purchases for you or you can integrate with your own back-end service to verify and track purchases in the way that's best for your app."
Recent research from mobile analytics firm Flurry found in-app purchases are now the leading source of revenue for social networking and social gaming applications.
Google's rationale is clear - if Android developers make money they keep developing and creating new apps for consumers who, in turn, keep the Android app market afloat - everybody wins.
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- British consumers will give up more personal data for discounts, free delivery
- How dark social can impact brand
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...