News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google enables Android developers to further monetize apps
If you're in the business of developing apps for Android you will be delighted with the latest announcement from Google that they will now support in-app purchases.
A big beef within the Android application developer community has been the proliferation of free apps. This, in turn, has created an expectation among consumers that all apps should be free, severely limiting the monetization of app products.
However, that's all about to change with Google's announcement on Wednesday that a new SDK, specifically for in-app purchases, is now available to developers. The move will enable in-app payments for items such as downloadable game levels, virtual currency, or unlocking certain features or premium versions of a game or app.
"The In-app Billing service manages billing transactions between apps and users, providing a consistent purchasing experience with familiar forms of payment across all apps," said Android developer, Eric Chu, on the Android Developers blog.
"At the same time, it gives you full control over how your digital goods are purchased and tracked. You can let Android Market manage and track the purchases for you or you can integrate with your own back-end service to verify and track purchases in the way that's best for your app."
Recent research from mobile analytics firm Flurry found in-app purchases are now the leading source of revenue for social networking and social gaming applications.
Google's rationale is clear - if Android developers make money they keep developing and creating new apps for consumers who, in turn, keep the Android app market afloat - everybody wins.
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Netflix dominates U.S. peak Internet traffic
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Do you know why online shoppers abandon carts?
- Travel study reveals extent of travelers' frustration with poorly performing apps, websites
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...