News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google enables Android developers to further monetize apps
If you're in the business of developing apps for Android you will be delighted with the latest announcement from Google that they will now support in-app purchases.
A big beef within the Android application developer community has been the proliferation of free apps. This, in turn, has created an expectation among consumers that all apps should be free, severely limiting the monetization of app products.
However, that's all about to change with Google's announcement on Wednesday that a new SDK, specifically for in-app purchases, is now available to developers. The move will enable in-app payments for items such as downloadable game levels, virtual currency, or unlocking certain features or premium versions of a game or app.
"The In-app Billing service manages billing transactions between apps and users, providing a consistent purchasing experience with familiar forms of payment across all apps," said Android developer, Eric Chu, on the Android Developers blog.
"At the same time, it gives you full control over how your digital goods are purchased and tracked. You can let Android Market manage and track the purchases for you or you can integrate with your own back-end service to verify and track purchases in the way that's best for your app."
Recent research from mobile analytics firm Flurry found in-app purchases are now the leading source of revenue for social networking and social gaming applications.
Google's rationale is clear - if Android developers make money they keep developing and creating new apps for consumers who, in turn, keep the Android app market afloat - everybody wins.
- Release makes push notifications actionable
- Early results show skipping ads improves engagement
- Top 3 tips to better personalize online campaigns
- Pinterest gives businesses a deeper peek into their Pinners
- Parents give retailers advice on making back-to-school shopping more bearable
- Study reveals impact of mobile use on Japanese students' grades
- Poll: SMB owners voting out incumbents
- How to improve worker productivity
Featured White Papers
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...
- Ready, Set, Send: Marketing Automation and the Customer Lifecycle
Much like running a marathon, building a successful marketing program takes dedication, patience, training and a lot of stamina. These...