News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google enables Android developers to further monetize apps
If you're in the business of developing apps for Android you will be delighted with the latest announcement from Google that they will now support in-app purchases.
A big beef within the Android application developer community has been the proliferation of free apps. This, in turn, has created an expectation among consumers that all apps should be free, severely limiting the monetization of app products.
However, that's all about to change with Google's announcement on Wednesday that a new SDK, specifically for in-app purchases, is now available to developers. The move will enable in-app payments for items such as downloadable game levels, virtual currency, or unlocking certain features or premium versions of a game or app.
"The In-app Billing service manages billing transactions between apps and users, providing a consistent purchasing experience with familiar forms of payment across all apps," said Android developer, Eric Chu, on the Android Developers blog.
"At the same time, it gives you full control over how your digital goods are purchased and tracked. You can let Android Market manage and track the purchases for you or you can integrate with your own back-end service to verify and track purchases in the way that's best for your app."
Recent research from mobile analytics firm Flurry found in-app purchases are now the leading source of revenue for social networking and social gaming applications.
Google's rationale is clear - if Android developers make money they keep developing and creating new apps for consumers who, in turn, keep the Android app market afloat - everybody wins.
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...