News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Are social games going massive?
Practically since the creation of the Internet, consumers have been gaming. Those online games became more social with the advent of social networks, however. Now another change is coming. This month, Sony Online Entertainment has announced plans to push their MMO title "Fortune League" into the social space. Will this bring even more focus on to social gaming?
First the details on social gaming. According to a recent Econsultancy report about 19% of consumers are playing social games, with slightly more females playing than males. Nearly one-third of players say they play multiple times each day. All of this playing? It's resulting in the purchase of more virtual goods, with 15% of players saying they've purchased virtual goods and 8% reporting the purchase of virtual cash.
The Fastpoint Games, Sony deal is the first of potentially many more deals with could push more gaming options into the social space. The social "Fortune League" game is connected to Sony's "EverQuest II" and gives gamers the chance to play the shorter, more casual "Fortune League", earning rewards which can then be used inside "EverQuest II".
"'Fortune League' aims to provide existing players with a fun, new way of engaging with the depth and adventure of 'EQII', in short, snackable sessions, while also introducing new players and creating a new revenue source for the franchise," said Kelly Perdew, Fastpoint Games CEO.
How big can social gaming become? Facebook is certain social gaming will continue to grow, otherwise why create gaming cards which can be purchased at offline retailers? The Facebook cards work like iTunes or Amazon cards - with the points/cash uploaded to a Facebook account so that gamers can play, purchase and play more.
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...