News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2010 holidays end with record $30.8 billion spent online
If the first half of 2010 wasn't a banner year for ecommerce, the last half of the year - specifically the final eight weeks of Q4 - were. New research from comScore finds that consumers spent $30.8 billion online between November 1 and December 26, 2010, a record for online spending.
"Online holiday spending has remained strong through Christmas and we've already seen the season totals easily surpass the levels of the past few years to set a new record for spending at almost $31 billion," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "For at least this holiday season, the American consumer has been able to shrug off the continuing economic challenges of high unemployment rates and depressed housing prices and spend at a rate that has been slightly stronger than we had expected."
Consumers spent across the board, but the hottest categories for online buys this year were computer hardware (23% purchase increase), books and magazines (22% purchase increase) and consumer electronics (21% purchase increase). The biggest single shopping day for the 2010 holiday season was Cyber Monday, when consumer spent more than $1 billion online, a 16% increase year over year, but Free Shipping Day (December 17) should not be forgotten. One this day, shoppers spent $942 million, a 62% increase year over year.
What can brands do to continue to engage consumers through the early months of 2011, when historically all spending decreases rapidly? Don't forget social channel advertising, where consumers are not only talking about purchases but recommending products, and consider adding a retargeted ad campaign for the post-holiday blues.
- Report: Email, mobile key to retail success
- Expert: Data key for financial campaigns
- "Fat" ads slowing down publishers' websites
- IoT making impact on business but barriers remain
- CPG brands spending more on digital ads than traditional
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...