News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2010 holidays end with record $30.8 billion spent online
If the first half of 2010 wasn't a banner year for ecommerce, the last half of the year - specifically the final eight weeks of Q4 - were. New research from comScore finds that consumers spent $30.8 billion online between November 1 and December 26, 2010, a record for online spending.
"Online holiday spending has remained strong through Christmas and we've already seen the season totals easily surpass the levels of the past few years to set a new record for spending at almost $31 billion," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "For at least this holiday season, the American consumer has been able to shrug off the continuing economic challenges of high unemployment rates and depressed housing prices and spend at a rate that has been slightly stronger than we had expected."
Consumers spent across the board, but the hottest categories for online buys this year were computer hardware (23% purchase increase), books and magazines (22% purchase increase) and consumer electronics (21% purchase increase). The biggest single shopping day for the 2010 holiday season was Cyber Monday, when consumer spent more than $1 billion online, a 16% increase year over year, but Free Shipping Day (December 17) should not be forgotten. One this day, shoppers spent $942 million, a 62% increase year over year.
What can brands do to continue to engage consumers through the early months of 2011, when historically all spending decreases rapidly? Don't forget social channel advertising, where consumers are not only talking about purchases but recommending products, and consider adding a retargeted ad campaign for the post-holiday blues.
- 40% of public relations workers use, but do not engage with, social media
- Consumers find card-linked marketing helpful for special occasions
- More than 40% of UK online transactions made via mobile
- Expert: How to engage Hispanic shoppers
- How forms can speed customer service
- Reports: Sharing, shopping increase on mobile
- Ad Roundup: New video tools, cross-device options
- Ecommerce Roundup: Mobile support, what shoppers want
Featured White Papers
- Gain Real-time email competitive intelligence with this video
Watch this short webinar today and see for yourself how you can gain access to email competitive data, real-time inbox...
- Digital Marketing: Are You Ready to Go Agile? (Best Practices)
Digital marketing isn't just about the channel, it's the mechanism by which people are creating and sharing experiences; engaging not...
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...