News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2010 holidays end with record $30.8 billion spent online
If the first half of 2010 wasn't a banner year for ecommerce, the last half of the year - specifically the final eight weeks of Q4 - were. New research from comScore finds that consumers spent $30.8 billion online between November 1 and December 26, 2010, a record for online spending.
"Online holiday spending has remained strong through Christmas and we've already seen the season totals easily surpass the levels of the past few years to set a new record for spending at almost $31 billion," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "For at least this holiday season, the American consumer has been able to shrug off the continuing economic challenges of high unemployment rates and depressed housing prices and spend at a rate that has been slightly stronger than we had expected."
Consumers spent across the board, but the hottest categories for online buys this year were computer hardware (23% purchase increase), books and magazines (22% purchase increase) and consumer electronics (21% purchase increase). The biggest single shopping day for the 2010 holiday season was Cyber Monday, when consumer spent more than $1 billion online, a 16% increase year over year, but Free Shipping Day (December 17) should not be forgotten. One this day, shoppers spent $942 million, a 62% increase year over year.
What can brands do to continue to engage consumers through the early months of 2011, when historically all spending decreases rapidly? Don't forget social channel advertising, where consumers are not only talking about purchases but recommending products, and consider adding a retargeted ad campaign for the post-holiday blues.
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Is Black Friday a 'false economy' for retailers?
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...