News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile users using voice for local searches
Ever wondered what mobile phone users who initiate searches using voice are looking for, or why they use the function? New research from ad network Chitika throws some light on the matter.
More mobile users are catching on to voice search. Google carries around 97% of all iPhone search traffic and it has recently been discovered that 7% of those searches are initiated via voice.
However, that's small potatoes compared to the number made by Android users. Google CEO Eric Schmidt said previously that 25% of Android-based Google searches in the U.S. are initiated by voice. It's worth noting at this point that voice search is often preloaded on new Android devices.
According to Chitika's research, those who search using voice are three times more likely to be looking for local results. But, why use voice? According to Chitika's Dan Ruby, searching by voice is often used by those behind the wheel of a car for safety reasons and because, in some parts of the world, texting while driving is illegal.
Google has plans to revamp their voice-enabling offerings and are shutting down 1-800-GOOG-411, their original voice-powered directory assistance service, in just a couple of weeks time (12 November, 2010).
"Our success encouraged us to aim for more innovation," announced a team member earlier this month. "Thus, we're putting all of our resources into speech-enabling the next generation of Google products and services across a multitude of languages."
Google has already begun ramping up their voice-powered products. Last week Google Mobile added voice search in four new languages: Russian, Polish, Czech, and Turkish.
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...