News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile users using voice for local searches
Ever wondered what mobile phone users who initiate searches using voice are looking for, or why they use the function? New research from ad network Chitika throws some light on the matter.
More mobile users are catching on to voice search. Google carries around 97% of all iPhone search traffic and it has recently been discovered that 7% of those searches are initiated via voice.
However, that's small potatoes compared to the number made by Android users. Google CEO Eric Schmidt said previously that 25% of Android-based Google searches in the U.S. are initiated by voice. It's worth noting at this point that voice search is often preloaded on new Android devices.
According to Chitika's research, those who search using voice are three times more likely to be looking for local results. But, why use voice? According to Chitika's Dan Ruby, searching by voice is often used by those behind the wheel of a car for safety reasons and because, in some parts of the world, texting while driving is illegal.
Google has plans to revamp their voice-enabling offerings and are shutting down 1-800-GOOG-411, their original voice-powered directory assistance service, in just a couple of weeks time (12 November, 2010).
"Our success encouraged us to aim for more innovation," announced a team member earlier this month. "Thus, we're putting all of our resources into speech-enabling the next generation of Google products and services across a multitude of languages."
Google has already begun ramping up their voice-powered products. Last week Google Mobile added voice search in four new languages: Russian, Polish, Czech, and Turkish.
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....