News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Microsoft: Half of mobile searches have a local intent
Microsoft's internal analysis of their mobile search query data has thrown up an interesting, yet not entirely surprising, fact about the search behavior of mobile users.
You're ambling around town when suddenly you crave Chinese dumplings. You whip out your phone and after a couple of local searches you're well on your way to getting your fix.
A similar scenario plays out day after day as mobile users refer to their devices for local information - information that will help them navigate their immediate environment and solve their real-time needs and wants.
It's not surprising, then, to read of recent data from Microsoft that shows over half (53%) of mobile searches on Bing have a local intent.
Hence the development of ads that, quite literally, guide consumers from "search to store". Such ads, including Google's Expandable Map ads, appear both on the mobile web and in apps and, when clicked, provide the user with directions to a store.
"Mobile user demand for information that can be acted on in the real world, in real-time is, well, very real," writes Search Engine Land's Greg Sterling, who uncovered the data in a recent chat with Bing's Director of Search, Stefan Weitz.
"That's what this Microsoft stat reflects. If that's not an argument for mobile advertising in general and mobile search in particular, I don't know what is."
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...