News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Microsoft: Half of mobile searches have a local intent
Microsoft's internal analysis of their mobile search query data has thrown up an interesting, yet not entirely surprising, fact about the search behavior of mobile users.
You're ambling around town when suddenly you crave Chinese dumplings. You whip out your phone and after a couple of local searches you're well on your way to getting your fix.
A similar scenario plays out day after day as mobile users refer to their devices for local information - information that will help them navigate their immediate environment and solve their real-time needs and wants.
It's not surprising, then, to read of recent data from Microsoft that shows over half (53%) of mobile searches on Bing have a local intent.
Hence the development of ads that, quite literally, guide consumers from "search to store". Such ads, including Google's Expandable Map ads, appear both on the mobile web and in apps and, when clicked, provide the user with directions to a store.
"Mobile user demand for information that can be acted on in the real world, in real-time is, well, very real," writes Search Engine Land's Greg Sterling, who uncovered the data in a recent chat with Bing's Director of Search, Stefan Weitz.
"That's what this Microsoft stat reflects. If that's not an argument for mobile advertising in general and mobile search in particular, I don't know what is."
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....