News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Microsoft: Half of mobile searches have a local intent
Microsoft's internal analysis of their mobile search query data has thrown up an interesting, yet not entirely surprising, fact about the search behavior of mobile users.
You're ambling around town when suddenly you crave Chinese dumplings. You whip out your phone and after a couple of local searches you're well on your way to getting your fix.
A similar scenario plays out day after day as mobile users refer to their devices for local information - information that will help them navigate their immediate environment and solve their real-time needs and wants.
It's not surprising, then, to read of recent data from Microsoft that shows over half (53%) of mobile searches on Bing have a local intent.
Hence the development of ads that, quite literally, guide consumers from "search to store". Such ads, including Google's Expandable Map ads, appear both on the mobile web and in apps and, when clicked, provide the user with directions to a store.
"Mobile user demand for information that can be acted on in the real world, in real-time is, well, very real," writes Search Engine Land's Greg Sterling, who uncovered the data in a recent chat with Bing's Director of Search, Stefan Weitz.
"That's what this Microsoft stat reflects. If that's not an argument for mobile advertising in general and mobile search in particular, I don't know what is."
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...