News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Black Friday: Offline spending flat, online up
Depending on which report you read, Black Friday online sales were up anywhere between 9% and 16% this year. But, whichever way you look at it, online sales growth exceeded that of bricks and mortar outlets, compared to last year.
According to Coremetrics, online merchants saw spending rise 16% on Black Friday, with an average order of $190.80, 12% more than on the same day last year.
Coremetrics also recorded a rise in the number of people logging on to a retailer's website from a mobile device - up to 5.6% from less than 1% last year.
"On Black Friday, consumers came, they clicked and they shopped their way across the Internet, and this time, they weren't just looking for bargains," said John Squire, chief strategy officer, IBM Coremetrics.
"Consequently, we're watching online retail, and increasingly social media and mobile, become the growth engines for retailers everywhere as consumers embrace online shopping not only for its ease and convenience, but as a primary means of researching goods and services."
The latest numbers from Comscore show that $648 million of Black Friday's total sales came from online shopping, up 9% from the $595 million spent online during Black Friday 2009.
Data from ShopperTrak showed spending at bricks and mortar outlets was pretty much the same as last year, rising just 0.3%, and traffic rose just 2.2%.
"Retailers were very conscious of driving traffic early in November and in doing so some might have thinned Black Friday spending a bit," said ShopperTrak founder, Bill Martin.
"The reality is we have a deal driven consumer in 2010 and that consumer responded to some of the earliest deep discounts we've even seen for the holidays."
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More ad dollars to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...