News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
7% of young broadband users consider severing cable TV ties
Watching television shows on the Internet and mobile devices is a daily activity for a quarter of broadband users, according to new research from Horowitz Associates. That figure rises among younger viewers, some of whom are considering cancelling their cable TV ties.
Almost 40% of all users of broadband Internet in the U.S. watch television programming on the Internet, or via a mobile device - up from 34% last year.
Among 18-34 year olds that figure is higher - 37% of broadband Internet users in that age group now watch television online every day, or nearly every day.
At least 7% are considering cancelling their television service and if more of their favorite shows became available online an additional 19% would consider cancelling.
"The penetration and usage of alternative viewing technology is reaching a tipping point, and the measurable impact on how the TV product is viewed will inevitably follow," said Howard Horowitz, President of Horowitz Associates.
But what will become of the cable companies if consumers decide to cancel their subscriptions? According to CNET's Marguerite Reardon, U.S. cable companies, which are essentially infrastructure firms, will still be in the loop.
"In addition to controlling most of the paid TV market in the U.S., cable companies are also poised to dominate the broadband market," writes Reardon.
"This means that even when people drop their pricey cable TV packages, they're still likely to pay the cable company for access to the Internet, which is used to deliver the video streams to their TVs. For cable operators, it's a "heads we win; tails we win" situation."
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...