News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
7% of young broadband users consider severing cable TV ties
Watching television shows on the Internet and mobile devices is a daily activity for a quarter of broadband users, according to new research from Horowitz Associates. That figure rises among younger viewers, some of whom are considering cancelling their cable TV ties.
Almost 40% of all users of broadband Internet in the U.S. watch television programming on the Internet, or via a mobile device - up from 34% last year.
Among 18-34 year olds that figure is higher - 37% of broadband Internet users in that age group now watch television online every day, or nearly every day.
At least 7% are considering cancelling their television service and if more of their favorite shows became available online an additional 19% would consider cancelling.
"The penetration and usage of alternative viewing technology is reaching a tipping point, and the measurable impact on how the TV product is viewed will inevitably follow," said Howard Horowitz, President of Horowitz Associates.
But what will become of the cable companies if consumers decide to cancel their subscriptions? According to CNET's Marguerite Reardon, U.S. cable companies, which are essentially infrastructure firms, will still be in the loop.
"In addition to controlling most of the paid TV market in the U.S., cable companies are also poised to dominate the broadband market," writes Reardon.
"This means that even when people drop their pricey cable TV packages, they're still likely to pay the cable company for access to the Internet, which is used to deliver the video streams to their TVs. For cable operators, it's a "heads we win; tails we win" situation."
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
- Expert: How to better leverage content via mobile
- Blogs play an important role in the path to purchase
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....