News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online video viewers abandoning clips after just 10 secs
New research has found online video viewers' attention spans to be limited, with a fifth of viewers lasting only a few seconds before moving on to the next distraction, no matter what the length of the clip.
With so much choice and distraction it's not surprising to discover that it doesn't take long for a video viewer to get bored and click away. In fact, for 20% of viewers it takes 10 seconds or less to abandon a video that doesn't hold their attention, found recent research by Visible Measures.
By 30 seconds into an online video as many as third of viewers have moved on, at 1 minute 44% have left and almost 60% have gone at the 2 minute mark.
According to Visible Measure's Matt Cutler, "if your online video campaign has 10 million viewers, 2 million of them saw less than 10 seconds of it. Ouch."
Ouch indeed. And if you think that putting out shorter videos is the answer, think again. The propensity to click away from an online video doesn't appear to decrease for shorter clips. For instance, after 60 seconds of viewing time an average 44% of viewers will have abandoned the clip, whether that clip runs for one minute, two minutes, or even five minutes, found the research.
The solution? Get to the point.. quickly. Don't dilly dally around with introductions and blurb or legalese, grab the viewer's attention with tightly focused content and a clear, simple call to action.
To give your online video more of a chance of going viral, inject some humor.
Tags: online video
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....