News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online video viewers abandoning clips after just 10 secs
New research has found online video viewers' attention spans to be limited, with a fifth of viewers lasting only a few seconds before moving on to the next distraction, no matter what the length of the clip.
With so much choice and distraction it's not surprising to discover that it doesn't take long for a video viewer to get bored and click away. In fact, for 20% of viewers it takes 10 seconds or less to abandon a video that doesn't hold their attention, found recent research by Visible Measures.
By 30 seconds into an online video as many as third of viewers have moved on, at 1 minute 44% have left and almost 60% have gone at the 2 minute mark.
According to Visible Measure's Matt Cutler, "if your online video campaign has 10 million viewers, 2 million of them saw less than 10 seconds of it. Ouch."
Ouch indeed. And if you think that putting out shorter videos is the answer, think again. The propensity to click away from an online video doesn't appear to decrease for shorter clips. For instance, after 60 seconds of viewing time an average 44% of viewers will have abandoned the clip, whether that clip runs for one minute, two minutes, or even five minutes, found the research.
The solution? Get to the point.. quickly. Don't dilly dally around with introductions and blurb or legalese, grab the viewer's attention with tightly focused content and a clear, simple call to action.
To give your online video more of a chance of going viral, inject some humor.
Tags: online video
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
- Brands: Why you need to connect social and cross-platform marketing objectives
- 35% of U.S. online shoppers won't browse or buy from Alibaba
- Top 3 tips to create a multi-channel strategy that works
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...