News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online video viewers abandoning clips after just 10 secs
New research has found online video viewers' attention spans to be limited, with a fifth of viewers lasting only a few seconds before moving on to the next distraction, no matter what the length of the clip.
With so much choice and distraction it's not surprising to discover that it doesn't take long for a video viewer to get bored and click away. In fact, for 20% of viewers it takes 10 seconds or less to abandon a video that doesn't hold their attention, found recent research by Visible Measures.
By 30 seconds into an online video as many as third of viewers have moved on, at 1 minute 44% have left and almost 60% have gone at the 2 minute mark.
According to Visible Measure's Matt Cutler, "if your online video campaign has 10 million viewers, 2 million of them saw less than 10 seconds of it. Ouch."
Ouch indeed. And if you think that putting out shorter videos is the answer, think again. The propensity to click away from an online video doesn't appear to decrease for shorter clips. For instance, after 60 seconds of viewing time an average 44% of viewers will have abandoned the clip, whether that clip runs for one minute, two minutes, or even five minutes, found the research.
The solution? Get to the point.. quickly. Don't dilly dally around with introductions and blurb or legalese, grab the viewer's attention with tightly focused content and a clear, simple call to action.
To give your online video more of a chance of going viral, inject some humor.
Tags: online video
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...