News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Likers' have more friends, more active, finds Facebook
In a little under six months, Facebook's Like button has already made its way onto over 2 million websites and has now been around long enough to generate some interesting data relating to "likers' and Internet traffic.
The results of some number-crunching by Facebook's Developer Network Insights team reveal some interesting insights into the people using the Like button and its effect on traffic.
So, who are the "likers"? In a nutshell, they have more friends on Facebook than a typical user as well as being over five times more likely to click on an external link on Facebook.
"This could mean the user is more "social" or more influential; on the other hand, it could mean the user is an attention-seeking narcissist," writes Mashable's Jolie O'Dell. "While it's fatuous to read too much into that statistic, the number does show that the average "liker" is more active from a social-web standpoint."
And, what about traffic? The figures released by Facebook are impressive. Since adding social plugins like the Like button publishers have seen a huge surge in traffic. Sporting News has seen a massive 500% increase in traffic while Gawker reported a 200% increase and ABC News 190%.
"These statistics show the positive effect integrating with Facebook can have on websites," concludes Inside Facebook's Josh Constine. "The experience of other sites and the ease of adding the few lines of code necessary to install many social plugins should encourage sites to at least experiment with the Open Graph API."
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...