News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Likers' have more friends, more active, finds Facebook
In a little under six months, Facebook's Like button has already made its way onto over 2 million websites and has now been around long enough to generate some interesting data relating to "likers' and Internet traffic.
The results of some number-crunching by Facebook's Developer Network Insights team reveal some interesting insights into the people using the Like button and its effect on traffic.
So, who are the "likers"? In a nutshell, they have more friends on Facebook than a typical user as well as being over five times more likely to click on an external link on Facebook.
"This could mean the user is more "social" or more influential; on the other hand, it could mean the user is an attention-seeking narcissist," writes Mashable's Jolie O'Dell. "While it's fatuous to read too much into that statistic, the number does show that the average "liker" is more active from a social-web standpoint."
And, what about traffic? The figures released by Facebook are impressive. Since adding social plugins like the Like button publishers have seen a huge surge in traffic. Sporting News has seen a massive 500% increase in traffic while Gawker reported a 200% increase and ABC News 190%.
"These statistics show the positive effect integrating with Facebook can have on websites," concludes Inside Facebook's Josh Constine. "The experience of other sites and the ease of adding the few lines of code necessary to install many social plugins should encourage sites to at least experiment with the Open Graph API."
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...