News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Women, particularly moms, are shopping online from work
Even being at work can't stop women from shopping. According to new research from AOL Advertising with OTX, plenty of women manage to slip in a bit of retail therapy while sat at their desk, particularly on Fridays.
Women, particularly mothers, take advantage of downtime at work to shop online. According to AOL's new whitepaper, "The Mall Behind the Spreadsheet" (.pdf), 40% of women age 18-54 shop via the Internet from their place of work.
On average, women tend to shop between 15 and 30 minutes a day while at work although moms, who are more pressed for time outside of work, tend to shop for longer periods of time in the workplace.
In fact, time-saving and convenience feature highly in the reasons why women, both moms and non-moms, shop online at work:
- 53% Time saver/convenience
- 40% To pass time
- 38% I need it now
- 20% No time at home
- 35% Most downtime
At what points in the workday are women shopping online? Over half (54%) indulge in retail therapy during their lunch-break while 46% take advantage of other scheduled breaks or downtime. Marketers can take advantage of this downtime and target email offers during these periods.
Another interesting finding - Friday is the day when most women shop online from work (52% vs. 27% on Tuesdays). Therefore, in addition to targeting women by day-part, promotions can be geared to build awareness during the week leading to a big finale on the final working day of the week.
And, for added targeting, the study suggests the best time on a Friday to engage women at work is between the hours of 11am and 2pm, the hours during which 49% claim to shop.
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...