News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Women, particularly moms, are shopping online from work
Even being at work can't stop women from shopping. According to new research from AOL Advertising with OTX, plenty of women manage to slip in a bit of retail therapy while sat at their desk, particularly on Fridays.
Women, particularly mothers, take advantage of downtime at work to shop online. According to AOL's new whitepaper, "The Mall Behind the Spreadsheet" (.pdf), 40% of women age 18-54 shop via the Internet from their place of work.
On average, women tend to shop between 15 and 30 minutes a day while at work although moms, who are more pressed for time outside of work, tend to shop for longer periods of time in the workplace.
In fact, time-saving and convenience feature highly in the reasons why women, both moms and non-moms, shop online at work:
- 53% Time saver/convenience
- 40% To pass time
- 38% I need it now
- 20% No time at home
- 35% Most downtime
At what points in the workday are women shopping online? Over half (54%) indulge in retail therapy during their lunch-break while 46% take advantage of other scheduled breaks or downtime. Marketers can take advantage of this downtime and target email offers during these periods.
Another interesting finding - Friday is the day when most women shop online from work (52% vs. 27% on Tuesdays). Therefore, in addition to targeting women by day-part, promotions can be geared to build awareness during the week leading to a big finale on the final working day of the week.
And, for added targeting, the study suggests the best time on a Friday to engage women at work is between the hours of 11am and 2pm, the hours during which 49% claim to shop.
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- "Abandon Cart Emails" - Why We Don't Buy
For this paper, sponsored by Magento and Bronto Software, over 1,000 online shoppers were surveyed about their awareness of shopping...
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...