News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social network ad spending to exceed $2 billion in 2011
The amount of money being spent on social network advertising continues to rise and eMarketer has recently revised its forecasts for this year and next in line with that growth. Facebook comes out on top but MySpace continues to show a decline in interest from advertisers.
U.S. spending on ads for sites such as Facebook is expected to reach $1.68 billion this year says eMarketer, a more than 20% increase from 2009. That figure will mean social media accounts for almost 7% of all U.S. online spending.
Next year social network advertising could top $2 billion.
Unsurprisingly, Facebook will account for half of all social networking ad spending. Many marketers can't resist the network's huge subscriber base and the amount of time consumers are spending on the platform.
"[Ad companies] are looking at Facebook's 500 million active users worldwide, and they're saying, 'I need to be there, that's a heck of a lot of people," said Debra Aho Williamson, a senior analyst for eMarketer.
MySpace, however, hasn't been enjoying the social media advertising ride quite as much. Interest in the network has declined, with the number of U.K. visitors alone having halved in the last few months, and U.S. marketers will spend just $323 million with it this year compared to $445 million in 2009.
- Study: Tiggered emails key to reengaging cart abandoners
- Report: Mobile pushing more ecommerce
- How brands can use chat apps to engage
- Ad Roundup: Email and experience tools
- RichRelevance: Site Search key for shoppers
- How loyalty data can improve the shopper experience
- UK consumers will have 12 billion click-to-call conversations this year
- Consumers to brands: Don't call me maybe
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...