News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social network ad spending to exceed $2 billion in 2011
The amount of money being spent on social network advertising continues to rise and eMarketer has recently revised its forecasts for this year and next in line with that growth. Facebook comes out on top but MySpace continues to show a decline in interest from advertisers.
U.S. spending on ads for sites such as Facebook is expected to reach $1.68 billion this year says eMarketer, a more than 20% increase from 2009. That figure will mean social media accounts for almost 7% of all U.S. online spending.
Next year social network advertising could top $2 billion.
Unsurprisingly, Facebook will account for half of all social networking ad spending. Many marketers can't resist the network's huge subscriber base and the amount of time consumers are spending on the platform.
"[Ad companies] are looking at Facebook's 500 million active users worldwide, and they're saying, 'I need to be there, that's a heck of a lot of people," said Debra Aho Williamson, a senior analyst for eMarketer.
MySpace, however, hasn't been enjoying the social media advertising ride quite as much. Interest in the network has declined, with the number of U.K. visitors alone having halved in the last few months, and U.S. marketers will spend just $323 million with it this year compared to $445 million in 2009.
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...