News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social network ad spending to exceed $2 billion in 2011
The amount of money being spent on social network advertising continues to rise and eMarketer has recently revised its forecasts for this year and next in line with that growth. Facebook comes out on top but MySpace continues to show a decline in interest from advertisers.
U.S. spending on ads for sites such as Facebook is expected to reach $1.68 billion this year says eMarketer, a more than 20% increase from 2009. That figure will mean social media accounts for almost 7% of all U.S. online spending.
Next year social network advertising could top $2 billion.
Unsurprisingly, Facebook will account for half of all social networking ad spending. Many marketers can't resist the network's huge subscriber base and the amount of time consumers are spending on the platform.
"[Ad companies] are looking at Facebook's 500 million active users worldwide, and they're saying, 'I need to be there, that's a heck of a lot of people," said Debra Aho Williamson, a senior analyst for eMarketer.
MySpace, however, hasn't been enjoying the social media advertising ride quite as much. Interest in the network has declined, with the number of U.K. visitors alone having halved in the last few months, and U.S. marketers will spend just $323 million with it this year compared to $445 million in 2009.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...