News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social network ad spending to exceed $2 billion in 2011
The amount of money being spent on social network advertising continues to rise and eMarketer has recently revised its forecasts for this year and next in line with that growth. Facebook comes out on top but MySpace continues to show a decline in interest from advertisers.
U.S. spending on ads for sites such as Facebook is expected to reach $1.68 billion this year says eMarketer, a more than 20% increase from 2009. That figure will mean social media accounts for almost 7% of all U.S. online spending.
Next year social network advertising could top $2 billion.
Unsurprisingly, Facebook will account for half of all social networking ad spending. Many marketers can't resist the network's huge subscriber base and the amount of time consumers are spending on the platform.
"[Ad companies] are looking at Facebook's 500 million active users worldwide, and they're saying, 'I need to be there, that's a heck of a lot of people," said Debra Aho Williamson, a senior analyst for eMarketer.
MySpace, however, hasn't been enjoying the social media advertising ride quite as much. Interest in the network has declined, with the number of U.K. visitors alone having halved in the last few months, and U.S. marketers will spend just $323 million with it this year compared to $445 million in 2009.
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...