News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Coremetrics: Online shoppers with short attention spans demand fast, relevant online experience
I won't scare you with a countdown to Christmas but, needless to say, it's looming and online retailers who want to make it a profitable holiday season need to ensure they are giving consumers the shopping experience they demand or risk losing sales.
The key elements driving today's online shoppers are relevancy, personalization, and speed, suggests Coremetrics' latest Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report.
Consumer's attention spans are diminishing and online retailers are faced with a shrinking window of opportunity in which to engage and guide site visitors to order placement.
Websites must grab the attention of visitors, encourage them to stay and seamlessly, and quickly, drive them through to order completion if they are to stand any chance of securing a sale.
Key points from the report that illustrate today's "surgical shopping" approach include:
- Browsing sessions currently average just seven minutes, down from as much as 10 minutes in 2007-2008, and as much as 8 minutes in 2008-2009
- Consumers are engaging in "surgical shopping," zeroing in quickly on the items they want
- The bounce rate - the percentage of single-page sessions - is up substantially sitting at a high of about 35% in May, 2010, compared with less than 25% in June, 2008.
- The number of website visits driven by clicks on paid search and display ads is increasing leading to more visitors arriving at websites via landing pages rather than the homepage
- Average order value is up strongly year over year, from a low of around $120 in June, 2008, to more than $190 in May, 2010.
The report also points out how important it is for online retailers to consider the ever-increasing number of shopping options available to consumers. Social media marketing, mobile marketing/apps and re-targeting shoppers with personalized messages are all crucial to keeping consumers engaged and brands front-of-mind.
According to Coremetrics, "Increasing use of both social media and mobile devices is commanding a greater share of time online. Retailers need to capitalize on both the social media and mobile phenomenon by leveraging these fast-growing channels this holiday season."
- Forecast: App economy to surpass $100b by 2020
- Report: Retail, tech lead for mobile video
- Report: Pressure is on for security pros
- High viewability goals damaging ad campaign performance
- Retail: In-app purchases increasing as a percentage of digital sales
- Two countries, two different spending trends for Valentine's Day
- Ad Roundup: Platforms to improve data, prevent fraud
- Survey: SMBs getting out the vote
Featured White Papers
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...