News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Online retail sales increase for third consecutive quarter
New data from comScore shows that online retail sales in the U.S. rose for the third consecutive quarter climbing 9% to $32.9 billion.
It is encouraging news, particularly after a 10% increase in the first quarter of this year.
But, can the growth experienced in Q1 and Q2 continue throughout 2010? comScore won't commit either way and remain 'optimistically cautious' citing recent unemployment rises and stock market uncertainty as potential spanners in the works.
comScore's report also found:
- Upper-income households (those earning at least $100,000 annually) grew 17% YoY, twice the overall e-commerce growth rate during the quarter.
- Among the top-performing online product categories were: Consumer Electronics (excluding PC peripherals), Computer Software (excluding PC games), Computers/Peripherals/PDAs, and Books/Magazines.
- Multi-channel retailers regained e-commerce spending market share versus online pure-play retailers following five consecutive quarters of declining market share.
American Express recently registered its third consecutive quarterly gain and reported card members' spending climbed 16% last quarter. The largest increases came from corporate cards, cards issued by its bank partners and premium co-brand cards that people tend to pay off in full every month.
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...