News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Sweet smell of success for Old Spice video campaign
The Old Spice viral video campaign has been a rip-roaring success. Initial reports gave the impression that the Old Spice Guy had racked up a lot of eyeballs but not much revenue, however recent data, which include figures from the viral campaign's final thrust, show that Isaiah Mustafa pulled in the cash, too.
According to data from The Nielsen Co. and SymphonyIRI Group, the Old Spice ads weren't a wash-out. On the contrary, they produced a flood of sales with more people than ever now "smelling like the man your man could smell like".
- Sales of the body wash jumped 55% in the last three months.
- During the last four weeks alone, sales of the product rose a whopping 107%.
This latest rise is probably due, in part, to the campaign's crescendo - the "Responses" videos. For twelve hours a day over three days, a team of 35 people, including "digital community managers" and three writers, collaborated to encourage and collect fan questions. Video responses were then produced and aired online as quickly as possible. The questions were answered by Old Spice Man in his usual witty and uber-confident manner.
In the week following the Old Spice "Responses" campaign the team posted 183 individual video responses on the Old Spice "I'm on an Internet" YouTube channel. They attracted over 35.7 million unique views. In fact, the Old Spice channel was the most-visited YouTube channel that week and is now the third most-subscribed channel ever in the site's "sponsor" category.
Isaiah, a former NFL footballer, is rumored to have been offered a part in a movie starring Jennifer Aniston.
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...