News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Sweet smell of success for Old Spice video campaign
The Old Spice viral video campaign has been a rip-roaring success. Initial reports gave the impression that the Old Spice Guy had racked up a lot of eyeballs but not much revenue, however recent data, which include figures from the viral campaign's final thrust, show that Isaiah Mustafa pulled in the cash, too.
According to data from The Nielsen Co. and SymphonyIRI Group, the Old Spice ads weren't a wash-out. On the contrary, they produced a flood of sales with more people than ever now "smelling like the man your man could smell like".
- Sales of the body wash jumped 55% in the last three months.
- During the last four weeks alone, sales of the product rose a whopping 107%.
This latest rise is probably due, in part, to the campaign's crescendo - the "Responses" videos. For twelve hours a day over three days, a team of 35 people, including "digital community managers" and three writers, collaborated to encourage and collect fan questions. Video responses were then produced and aired online as quickly as possible. The questions were answered by Old Spice Man in his usual witty and uber-confident manner.
In the week following the Old Spice "Responses" campaign the team posted 183 individual video responses on the Old Spice "I'm on an Internet" YouTube channel. They attracted over 35.7 million unique views. In fact, the Old Spice channel was the most-visited YouTube channel that week and is now the third most-subscribed channel ever in the site's "sponsor" category.
Isaiah, a former NFL footballer, is rumored to have been offered a part in a movie starring Jennifer Aniston.
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...