News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
KPMG: Dutch least likely to part with cash for content
Many Internet users would rather have their personal data tracked and have advertising placed before them than pay for online content, according to a global survey from KPMG, not least the Dutch.
Of all the countries studied by KPMG for its annual "Consumers & Convergence" survey the Dutch were the most likely to discontinue the use of a website if it chose to charge for content with just 6% prepared to pay.
Users in Canada (15%) and the U.K. (19%) were similarly reluctant.
In those countries with a low tolerance for paying for online content there was a higher acceptance of online advertising in return for free, or heavily subsidised, content.
In the U.K., for example, 75% of Internet users were happy to have advertising put in front of them in exchange for free content and almost half (48%) were happy for their personal data to be tracked.
"They do see the value in allowing service providers to have access to the information necessary for more tailored services, but they are only prepared to do this if the risks are controlled and, crucially, if there is some value in it for them," said Tudor Aw, head of technology at KPMG Europe.
These findings come hot on the heels of news that Britain's "The Times" newspaper lost almost two-thirds of its online readership since it began charging readers a small registration fee ($1.55) in June of this year.
Experian Hitwise published figures showing a drop in visits to the iconic newspaper's website from 15% of all U.K. Internet traffic pre-registration to a recent 4.16%.
- AdRoundup: Video, mobile and social offerings increase connectivity
- UK: February floods lead to rise in ecommerce sales
- Top 3 tips to create lasting brand buzz
- Expert warns bitcoin has drawbacks for SMBs
- Twitter testing click-to-call
- UK: Mobile ad spend to outstrip newspaper ad spend in 2014
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....