News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ben & Jerry's drop email in favor of social media marketing
Email, a standard marketing channel for most brands, has been dropped by Ben & Jerry's in the U.K., according to recent reports, as the ice-cream giant turns its attention to social media marketing.
According to reports on both mad.co.uk and newmediaage.co.uk, the iconic Vermont-based premium ice cream maker is dropping its regular email newsletter in Britain after customers aired their preference to be contacted via social media channels.
The last email newsletter went out last week and customers are now encouraged to interact with the brand via Twitter and Facebook. The decision appears to fly in the face of recent research that suggests social media and email have a symbiotic relationship.
But Twitter and Facebook aren't the only weapons Ben & Jerry's have in their social arsenal. What started out as a hippy brand is now dishing out dollops of digital interactivity and fun via its website and mobile offerings.
Their latest move is "Moo Vision", featured on the brand's iPhone app "Scoop of Happiness". The augmented reality feature lets consumers use their iPhone camera to interact with the product packaging for a range of Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavors.
For example, by pointing the iPhone camera at the packaging for the New York Super Fudge Chunk flavor consumers are taken on a virtual tour of New York. Participants can share their adventures via Facebook and Twitter.
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...