News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Amazon launches grocery website in U.K.
Amazon is slowly expanding its grocery delivery service with the launch of its U.K. store coming just days after a launch in Germany.
Britain's online supermarket market is fierce. In the past five years alone it has grown 34% to $4.5 billion, according to researchers Sanford C. Bernstein & Co.
Now, online retailing giant Amazon is getting in on the grocery game with the launch of a delivery service in the U.K. The move comes just a couple of days after Amazon opened its first European grocery offering in Germany.
"This is big news in the online market. When the world's largest online retailer makes a play it is bound to shake a few things up," said Natalie Berg, research analyst at Planet Retail, via Bloomberg Businessweek.
"We have seen supermarkets move into selling DVDs and books. This is the first time it has happened the other way around."
Amazon will be stocking around 22,000 products, 2,000 of which will be stored in warehouses around the U.K., with its largest facility, of 800,000 square feet, at Swansea Bay in Wales. Fresh and chilled items will be sent via outside suppliers but Amazon will send groceries by mail, the same way it dispatches other products.
The Amazon grocery site is up and running in the U.K., but is still in beta.
- Demandbase: What won't happen in 2015
- Ecommerce Roundup: Shoppers findings leads on social media
- Report: Analysis high on B2Bers New Year List
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...