News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Zogby Poll: Social media trumps traditional in trust stakes
Consumers put more trust in technology giants Apple, Microsoft and Google than they do social networking sites. But both score higher in the trust stakes than traditional media.
A Zogby Interactive survey of over 2,100 U.S. adults found that among Apple, Microsoft and Google, 49% had trust in each of these brands.
However, Twitter and Facebook didn't fare quite as well with trust levels of 8% and 13% respectively.
Yet all of these companies, except Twitter, were afforded more trust than traditional media, despite recent privacy issues surrounding Google and Facebook. Overall, traditional media garnered the trust of just 8%, among the under 30's that figure drops to 6%.
"Having a consumer's trust takes on greater meaning in the cyber age. Trust used to be a one-way transaction: consumers bought a product believing it would be effective and not harmful," said founder John Zogby.
"Now, our personal information is part of the transaction, and we must trust our information won't be shared or abused."
Among different generations there's a marked difference in attitude. While Microsoft and Apple were particularly mistrusted by those aged under 30, Facebook and Twitter did better with this age group, being trusted by 20% and 15% respectively.
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...