News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: 25% of global spam is World Cup related
Don't reference the World Cup in your emails, marketers. That may as well be the headline for the lastest information from MessageLabs, which found that about 25% of all spam, worldwide, is related to the World Cup. Spammers are using the Football (Soccer) tournament to target consumers around the globe.
In addition to actual spam, MessageLabs found 45 targeted malware email messages focusing on Brazil; from chemical and finance companies to manufacturing, Brazilian businesses have been under attack so far this June. Pharma-marketers, as always, are also under attack as spammers begin using World Cup information to push redirect codes. Many of these emails offer a World Cup related headline and the body of the email contains a link to a disguised phishing website.
"Right now, spammers are reliant on the massive wave of excitement and expectation that typically surrounds an event like the FIFA World Cup," said MessageLabs Intelligence Senior Analyst, Paul Wood. "Riding this wave, spammers get the attention of their victims by offering products for sale or enticing them to click on a link. It is not uncommon for the event to appear in the subject line of an email but for the body of the same email to be completely unrelated."
According to the report:
• 89% of emails are now spam
• 16.7% of malware emails contained links to malicious websites
• Malware is also being sent in hopes of infecting computer systems within businesses or organizations
• 1 in 634 emails is a phishing attempt
• 90% of US email is now spam, 88% of Canadian and UK emails are spam
Engineering continues to be the highest sector for spamming (94% spam), followed by Education (89.9%) and Chemical/Pharma (89.7% spam).
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...