News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: 25% of global spam is World Cup related
Don't reference the World Cup in your emails, marketers. That may as well be the headline for the lastest information from MessageLabs, which found that about 25% of all spam, worldwide, is related to the World Cup. Spammers are using the Football (Soccer) tournament to target consumers around the globe.
In addition to actual spam, MessageLabs found 45 targeted malware email messages focusing on Brazil; from chemical and finance companies to manufacturing, Brazilian businesses have been under attack so far this June. Pharma-marketers, as always, are also under attack as spammers begin using World Cup information to push redirect codes. Many of these emails offer a World Cup related headline and the body of the email contains a link to a disguised phishing website.
"Right now, spammers are reliant on the massive wave of excitement and expectation that typically surrounds an event like the FIFA World Cup," said MessageLabs Intelligence Senior Analyst, Paul Wood. "Riding this wave, spammers get the attention of their victims by offering products for sale or enticing them to click on a link. It is not uncommon for the event to appear in the subject line of an email but for the body of the same email to be completely unrelated."
According to the report:
• 89% of emails are now spam
• 16.7% of malware emails contained links to malicious websites
• Malware is also being sent in hopes of infecting computer systems within businesses or organizations
• 1 in 634 emails is a phishing attempt
• 90% of US email is now spam, 88% of Canadian and UK emails are spam
Engineering continues to be the highest sector for spamming (94% spam), followed by Education (89.9%) and Chemical/Pharma (89.7% spam).
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
- Platforms enhance mobile experience
- Few marketers plan for social media negativity
- Report highlights mobile's role in hotel customer experience
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....