News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: 25% of global spam is World Cup related
Don't reference the World Cup in your emails, marketers. That may as well be the headline for the lastest information from MessageLabs, which found that about 25% of all spam, worldwide, is related to the World Cup. Spammers are using the Football (Soccer) tournament to target consumers around the globe.
In addition to actual spam, MessageLabs found 45 targeted malware email messages focusing on Brazil; from chemical and finance companies to manufacturing, Brazilian businesses have been under attack so far this June. Pharma-marketers, as always, are also under attack as spammers begin using World Cup information to push redirect codes. Many of these emails offer a World Cup related headline and the body of the email contains a link to a disguised phishing website.
"Right now, spammers are reliant on the massive wave of excitement and expectation that typically surrounds an event like the FIFA World Cup," said MessageLabs Intelligence Senior Analyst, Paul Wood. "Riding this wave, spammers get the attention of their victims by offering products for sale or enticing them to click on a link. It is not uncommon for the event to appear in the subject line of an email but for the body of the same email to be completely unrelated."
According to the report:
• 89% of emails are now spam
• 16.7% of malware emails contained links to malicious websites
• Malware is also being sent in hopes of infecting computer systems within businesses or organizations
• 1 in 634 emails is a phishing attempt
• 90% of US email is now spam, 88% of Canadian and UK emails are spam
Engineering continues to be the highest sector for spamming (94% spam), followed by Education (89.9%) and Chemical/Pharma (89.7% spam).
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...
- Motivations in the Marketing Mix
Direct targeting of consumers based on their motivations increased message relevance....
- 10 New Ways to Think About Affiliate Marketing Best Practices
Affiliate marketing is big business and it is poised to grow to $4.5 billion by 2016. While affiliate marketing is...
- Create Conversations, not Campaigns
Nobody wants to get blasted. Commercial email marketing has evolved out of the traditional direct-mail mindset, which is all about...