News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Youngsters monitor, manage their online reputation
Despite being in their reckless years, young adults are being far more vigilant about their online digital reputations than older generations, according to new data from Pew Research Center.
Older folk could do with taking a lesson from their younger counterparts when it comes to the digital world. New data shows that older Internet users are less inclined to manage their online reputations.
According to Pew, 71% of social networking users aged 18 to 29 have changed the privacy settings on their profile to limit what they share with others online. However, just 55% of social networking users aged 50 to 64 have done so.
Overall, Internet users are savvier about their online reputation management and the number of people who have used a search engine to look up their name and what information is being listed about them now stands at 57% compared to 47% in 2006.
"Search engines and social media sites now play a central role in building one's identity online," said Mary Madden, senior research specialist at the Internet & American Life Project and lead author of the report.
"Many users are learning and refining their approach as they go, changing privacy settings on profiles, customizing who can see certain updates and deleting unwanted information about them that appears online."
It's not just themselves that Internet users monitor. It's becoming increasingly common for people to check the reputation of others online such as those from their past (46%) and their friends (26%).
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....