News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Youngsters monitor, manage their online reputation
Despite being in their reckless years, young adults are being far more vigilant about their online digital reputations than older generations, according to new data from Pew Research Center.
Older folk could do with taking a lesson from their younger counterparts when it comes to the digital world. New data shows that older Internet users are less inclined to manage their online reputations.
According to Pew, 71% of social networking users aged 18 to 29 have changed the privacy settings on their profile to limit what they share with others online. However, just 55% of social networking users aged 50 to 64 have done so.
Overall, Internet users are savvier about their online reputation management and the number of people who have used a search engine to look up their name and what information is being listed about them now stands at 57% compared to 47% in 2006.
"Search engines and social media sites now play a central role in building one's identity online," said Mary Madden, senior research specialist at the Internet & American Life Project and lead author of the report.
"Many users are learning and refining their approach as they go, changing privacy settings on profiles, customizing who can see certain updates and deleting unwanted information about them that appears online."
It's not just themselves that Internet users monitor. It's becoming increasingly common for people to check the reputation of others online such as those from their past (46%) and their friends (26%).
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...