News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
YouTube turns 5 and hits viewing milestone
There's no pause for video mega-site YouTube's growth as it cruises into its fifth year and celebrates a viewing milestone.
Beginning in April, 2005, with the upload of a short video by co-founder Jawed Karim, YouTube's popularity and share of online eyeballs has continued to skyrocket. AfterDawn has a great timeline of YouTube's milestones over the years.
Now, five years on, the video sharing giant boasts 2 billion views each day - more than all of the three main U.S. television networks combined. Every single minute of the day more than 24 hours of video footage is added and it is the third most heavily trafficked website on the Internet.
"Since we never could have predicted all that happened in YouTube's first five years, we certainly can't imagine what the future will look like," announced YouTube on its blog. "But we do know there's a lot more to be done."
One thing that must be done for YouTube to continue to grow is to close the gap on the time YouTube visitors spend on the website. Currently, each spends about 15 minutes per day viewing content on YouTube compared to around five hours watching television.
"There is only so much time that people can spend watching a cat on a skateboard," said new media consultant Derek Anderson. "If YouTube really wants to displace cable and satellite television, it needs better content."
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...