News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
YouTube turns 5 and hits viewing milestone
There's no pause for video mega-site YouTube's growth as it cruises into its fifth year and celebrates a viewing milestone.
Beginning in April, 2005, with the upload of a short video by co-founder Jawed Karim, YouTube's popularity and share of online eyeballs has continued to skyrocket. AfterDawn has a great timeline of YouTube's milestones over the years.
Now, five years on, the video sharing giant boasts 2 billion views each day - more than all of the three main U.S. television networks combined. Every single minute of the day more than 24 hours of video footage is added and it is the third most heavily trafficked website on the Internet.
"Since we never could have predicted all that happened in YouTube's first five years, we certainly can't imagine what the future will look like," announced YouTube on its blog. "But we do know there's a lot more to be done."
One thing that must be done for YouTube to continue to grow is to close the gap on the time YouTube visitors spend on the website. Currently, each spends about 15 minutes per day viewing content on YouTube compared to around five hours watching television.
"There is only so much time that people can spend watching a cat on a skateboard," said new media consultant Derek Anderson. "If YouTube really wants to displace cable and satellite television, it needs better content."
- Demandbase: What won't happen in 2015
- Ecommerce Roundup: Shoppers findings leads on social media
- Report: Analysis high on B2Bers New Year List
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...