News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: More consumers spend more real money on virtual goods
Sales of virtual goods in North America are continuing to rise according to a recent report from research firm Magid Associates and online game monetization company PlaySpan, but where are they being purchased from?
The report reveals that around 13% of Americans aged 12 to 64 with Internet access have purchased virtual goods in the past twelve months, spending an average of $99 per person. That's an increase in purchasers of 1% and an increase in spend of 14% on 2008, when virtual goods buyers spent an average of $87 per person.
Overall, 21% of those who had already purchased virtual goods said they planned to spend more in the next 12 months. Indeed, a recent study by currency and payments solution provider Social Gold found that over half of virtual goods customers make repeat purchases.
The Magid/PlaySpam report found that 16% of those who purchased virtual goods said they did so using Facebook's recently-implemented Credits system.
Where are most consumers purchasing virtual goods? The report breaks it down as follows:
- 57% say they have made purchases within a game
- 38% purchase virtual goods within an official website of a virtual world or game
- 37% say they have made a purchase in a free, web-based game
- 31% via a social network
- 29% in a multiplayer computer game
- 29% in a game on a social network site
- 16% at an e-commerce site like PlaySpan.
"With the proliferation of smartphone users, and players becoming more comfortable paying for items within virtual worlds and social networks, Magid believes there is a huge opportunity for developers and publishers to capitalize on this growing multi-billion dollar industry, especially as virtual credits and pre-paid payment options become more widely accepted," said Mike Vorhaus, President, Magid Advisors.
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
- Ad Roundup: Analysis basis for releases, expansions
- Half of UK charities have no digital strategy
- Trends to watch for video in 2017
- 78% of over-55s uncomfortable with concept of stores run by robots
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...