News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Texting preferred comms channel for teens
Teens continue to let their fingers do the talking. A new report out from Pew Research found that texting is the top form of communication between this age group, more popular even than talking on their mobiles or email.
Three-quarters of teens now own a mobile phone, a significant rise from just 45% in 2004. As a consequence, more and more teens are using their devices as a means to contact their friends - shunning other methods of communication such as email and instant messaging.
In particular, the number of teens who use texting as a way to communicate with friends has exploded in recent years. While just over half (51%) of teens were texters in 2006, that figure has now risen to nearly three-quarters (72%).
Now, according to Pew Research's new report, "Teens and Mobile Phones", texting is the preferred method of contacting their friends for over half (54%) of all teens, more than any other common method:-
- 38% call on their mobile phone
- 33% talk face to face
- 30% use a landline
- 25% use social networking sites
- 24% instant message
- 11% use email
"These findings show that in a very short time cell phones have moved from being a fancy toy in a few teens' lives to favored communications hubs for most teens that are vitally important to nourishing their ties to friends and coordinating complicated family lives," said Rich Ling, co-author of the report.
Some teens are certainly making the most of their fancy toys. Around 15% of teens send a whopping 200 or so text per day - that's over 6,000 each month. The average teen sends and receives around 50 texts per day or around 1,500 per month.
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
- Study: Finance, saving important to Millenials
- Survey: More consumers want to be paperless
- Survey IDS when customers will share personal data
- Bing: Voice searches for hotels up 343% YoY
- Top 5 tips to take business paperless
- Snap Ads spend rises 593% QoQ
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...