News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Texting preferred comms channel for teens
Teens continue to let their fingers do the talking. A new report out from Pew Research found that texting is the top form of communication between this age group, more popular even than talking on their mobiles or email.
Three-quarters of teens now own a mobile phone, a significant rise from just 45% in 2004. As a consequence, more and more teens are using their devices as a means to contact their friends - shunning other methods of communication such as email and instant messaging.
In particular, the number of teens who use texting as a way to communicate with friends has exploded in recent years. While just over half (51%) of teens were texters in 2006, that figure has now risen to nearly three-quarters (72%).
Now, according to Pew Research's new report, "Teens and Mobile Phones", texting is the preferred method of contacting their friends for over half (54%) of all teens, more than any other common method:-
- 38% call on their mobile phone
- 33% talk face to face
- 30% use a landline
- 25% use social networking sites
- 24% instant message
- 11% use email
"These findings show that in a very short time cell phones have moved from being a fancy toy in a few teens' lives to favored communications hubs for most teens that are vitally important to nourishing their ties to friends and coordinating complicated family lives," said Rich Ling, co-author of the report.
Some teens are certainly making the most of their fancy toys. Around 15% of teens send a whopping 200 or so text per day - that's over 6,000 each month. The average teen sends and receives around 50 texts per day or around 1,500 per month.
- Facebook enables ad targeting by connection speed
- UK: Lousy public holiday weather drives take-out food search surge
- Release makes push notifications actionable
- Early results show skipping ads improves engagement
- Top 3 tips to better personalize online campaigns
- Pinterest gives businesses a deeper peek into their Pinners
- Parents give retailers advice on making back-to-school shopping more bearable
- Study reveals impact of mobile use on Japanese students' grades
Featured White Papers
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...
- Ready, Set, Send: Marketing Automation and the Customer Lifecycle
Much like running a marathon, building a successful marketing program takes dedication, patience, training and a lot of stamina. These...