News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Texting preferred comms channel for teens
Teens continue to let their fingers do the talking. A new report out from Pew Research found that texting is the top form of communication between this age group, more popular even than talking on their mobiles or email.
Three-quarters of teens now own a mobile phone, a significant rise from just 45% in 2004. As a consequence, more and more teens are using their devices as a means to contact their friends - shunning other methods of communication such as email and instant messaging.
In particular, the number of teens who use texting as a way to communicate with friends has exploded in recent years. While just over half (51%) of teens were texters in 2006, that figure has now risen to nearly three-quarters (72%).
Now, according to Pew Research's new report, "Teens and Mobile Phones", texting is the preferred method of contacting their friends for over half (54%) of all teens, more than any other common method:-
- 38% call on their mobile phone
- 33% talk face to face
- 30% use a landline
- 25% use social networking sites
- 24% instant message
- 11% use email
"These findings show that in a very short time cell phones have moved from being a fancy toy in a few teens' lives to favored communications hubs for most teens that are vitally important to nourishing their ties to friends and coordinating complicated family lives," said Rich Ling, co-author of the report.
Some teens are certainly making the most of their fancy toys. Around 15% of teens send a whopping 200 or so text per day - that's over 6,000 each month. The average teen sends and receives around 50 texts per day or around 1,500 per month.
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...