News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
North Carolina offers online retailers sales tax amnesty
Less than a week after Amazon.com announced it was suing the state of North Caroline for demanding private information about its resident's purchases, the state has offered a deal to Internet retailers in the form of a tax amnesty.
If Internet retailers commence collecting sales tax on products sold to North Carolina state residents the state will, in turn, forgive taxes, penalties and interest for periods before September, and it won't seek information about customers who bought from them.
North Carolina Revenue Secretary, Kenneth Lay, believes the deal is a win-win situation for all parties concerned and that many of the 350 or so identified Internet retailers that owed taxes would take the state up on its deal.
By taking part, businesses avoid being forced to pay back taxes and the expense of fighting those payments in court. At the same time, North Carolina avoids bearing the cost of tracking down past offenders and gets the added sales tax revenue.
North Carolina charges 5.75% in sales tax. The agreement also requires the collection of local taxes, raising the rate in most counties to 7.75%.
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...