News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
North Carolina offers online retailers sales tax amnesty
Less than a week after Amazon.com announced it was suing the state of North Caroline for demanding private information about its resident's purchases, the state has offered a deal to Internet retailers in the form of a tax amnesty.
If Internet retailers commence collecting sales tax on products sold to North Carolina state residents the state will, in turn, forgive taxes, penalties and interest for periods before September, and it won't seek information about customers who bought from them.
North Carolina Revenue Secretary, Kenneth Lay, believes the deal is a win-win situation for all parties concerned and that many of the 350 or so identified Internet retailers that owed taxes would take the state up on its deal.
By taking part, businesses avoid being forced to pay back taxes and the expense of fighting those payments in court. At the same time, North Carolina avoids bearing the cost of tracking down past offenders and gets the added sales tax revenue.
North Carolina charges 5.75% in sales tax. The agreement also requires the collection of local taxes, raising the rate in most counties to 7.75%.
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
- Twitter launches lead generation tool
Featured White Papers
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...