News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Disconnected teens suffer anxiety, withdrawal
While the American Psychiatric Association does not recognize Internet addiction as a disorder, there are certainly signs that there are real and distressing symptoms resulting from a loss of digital social connection.
Symptoms akin to those suffered by drug addicts in withdrawal were reported by American college students when starved of their social links. The study, called "24 Hours: Unplugged", was conducted on 200 students aged 18 to 21 and required them to abstain from using all media for a day.
Whether it be by mobile or Internet, one full day of being disconnected from their social media and links left many with symptoms of anxiety, craving and withdrawal, found researchers at the University of Maryland.
Some also said they felt impaired functioning without normal access to their media sources.
One student said that they clearly were addicted and found the dependency "sickening" while another said they felt "alone and secluded".
"We were surprised by how many students admitted that they were 'incredibly addicted' to media," said project director, journalism professor and ICMPA director, Susan D. Moeller, University of Maryland. "Most college students are not just unwilling, but functionally unable to be without their media links to the world."
In some countries, such as China and the U.K., Internet addiction has become such a public health issue that clinics have been set up specifically for treating the condition.
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....