News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Disconnected teens suffer anxiety, withdrawal
While the American Psychiatric Association does not recognize Internet addiction as a disorder, there are certainly signs that there are real and distressing symptoms resulting from a loss of digital social connection.
Symptoms akin to those suffered by drug addicts in withdrawal were reported by American college students when starved of their social links. The study, called "24 Hours: Unplugged", was conducted on 200 students aged 18 to 21 and required them to abstain from using all media for a day.
Whether it be by mobile or Internet, one full day of being disconnected from their social media and links left many with symptoms of anxiety, craving and withdrawal, found researchers at the University of Maryland.
Some also said they felt impaired functioning without normal access to their media sources.
One student said that they clearly were addicted and found the dependency "sickening" while another said they felt "alone and secluded".
"We were surprised by how many students admitted that they were 'incredibly addicted' to media," said project director, journalism professor and ICMPA director, Susan D. Moeller, University of Maryland. "Most college students are not just unwilling, but functionally unable to be without their media links to the world."
In some countries, such as China and the U.K., Internet addiction has become such a public health issue that clinics have been set up specifically for treating the condition.
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...