News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers put more faith in online product reviews
Consumers are affording online product reviews more trust and increasing their reliance on them, according to a new social shopping study.
The "2010 Social Shopping Study", conducted by the e-tailing group and PowerReviews, found that over half (57%) of shoppers count online product reviews by other customers to be a valuable research source.
Although they don't always believe what they read, credibility is one of the top reasons why people prefer to research online rather than talk to a salesman.
In fact, of all website features that influence product and purchase decisions, nearly three-quarters (72%) said customer reviews and ratings are the most important followed by customer service information (69%) and third-party buying category guides and expert opinions (64%).
Other consumer-generated content that the 1,000 or so online shoppers involved in the study found persuasive were top-rated product lists (60%), customer-supplied product photography (39%) and customer-supplied product videos (24%).
"Product reviews will continue to become an essential part of online shopping," said Pehr Luedtke, CEO of PowerReviews. "As the Web and shopping becomes more social, reviews will support the foundation of that experience."
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...