News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers put more faith in online product reviews
Consumers are affording online product reviews more trust and increasing their reliance on them, according to a new social shopping study.
The "2010 Social Shopping Study", conducted by the e-tailing group and PowerReviews, found that over half (57%) of shoppers count online product reviews by other customers to be a valuable research source.
Although they don't always believe what they read, credibility is one of the top reasons why people prefer to research online rather than talk to a salesman.
In fact, of all website features that influence product and purchase decisions, nearly three-quarters (72%) said customer reviews and ratings are the most important followed by customer service information (69%) and third-party buying category guides and expert opinions (64%).
Other consumer-generated content that the 1,000 or so online shoppers involved in the study found persuasive were top-rated product lists (60%), customer-supplied product photography (39%) and customer-supplied product videos (24%).
"Product reviews will continue to become an essential part of online shopping," said Pehr Luedtke, CEO of PowerReviews. "As the Web and shopping becomes more social, reviews will support the foundation of that experience."
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...