News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile Internet awareness lacking in Europe
The mobile Internet is playing an increasingly important role in the day to day life of Europeans, presenting huge opportunities for marketers. Yet, despite this increased usage, many consumers are unaware they can access the Internet from their handsets, according to new research from the European Interactive Advertising Agency (EIAA).
The EIAA's "Mediascope Europe" study of 15,000 people across 15 European markets revealed that 71 million Europeans browse the mobile Internet each week. Around 6.4 hours per week are spent browsing the mobile Internet, more time than is spent reading magazines (4.1 hours) and newspapers (4.8 hours).
Entertainment is also a big driver of mobile Internet use with many watching videos and playing games.
But, before mobile can become an effective marketing tool it seems marketers have a lot of work to do educating consumers of the capabilities of their mobile devices. The EIAA's study found that nearly half (47%) of respondents were oblivious to the fact their device could be used to surf the Internet. So, while mobile Internet usage is on the rise, many more are yet to be introduced to the activity.
With this in mind, marketers planning mobile marketing campaigns might want to consider an exercise in educating their consumers about how mobile Internet communication works. Additionally, marketers can expound the benefits of on-the-go messaging such as location-based offers and mobile coupons.
"Technological innovation coupled with consumers' continued desire to merge their media presents a huge opportunity for advertisers as we move into 2010," said Michael Kleindl, Chairman of the EIAA and Managing Partner of Valkiria Network. "It is important for brands to adapt to this shift in Internet mobility and use this insight to shape their marketing strategies."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...