News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2010 landmark year as online ad spending overtakes print
The tide of technological change continues to mould the print landscape. New figures released by research firm Outsell show that, for the first time ever, businesses plan to spend more this year on digital and online advertising and marketing than on print.
2010 could be a landmark year in the history of print and the Internet if Outsell's forecasts for advertising and marketing spending pan out.
The research firm has released figures that show companies intend to spend $119.6 billion on their online and digital efforts this year compared with just $111.5 billion on newspaper and magazine campaigns.
In 2009, print spending accounted for 32% of total marketing and advertising spending compared with 30% for online and digital. This year, print will make up 30% and online 33%.
"Advertisers are directing dollars toward the channels which generate the most qualified leads and most effective branding," said Outsell vice president and lead analyst Chuck Richard.
"As they emerge from the recession, they need more accountability, and they're spreading their spending over a widening set of options."
Of course, it was always going to happen and, even if Outsell's figures aren't realized this year, it's only a matter of time.
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- How to get past personas and into consumers' interests
- European Commission forces Google, Apple to make users aware of 'true cost' of an app
- Top 3 tips to improve seasonal marketing plans
- Research: Social media users less likely to post positively about their favorite products
- Twitter preps for new generation of commerce experiences
- iBeacon firm offers free hardware and installation to UK retailers
- Swrve: Report reveals one third of apps get only one minute of attention
Featured White Papers
- Everything You Need to Know About Social Media for Your Business
While social media practitioners must continue to expect and adapt to change, it is important to take note of the...