News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Twitter sign-up rate decreasing
To some, Twitter has become ingrained in everyday life. To others, it's a non-starter. Nonetheless, the micro-blogging platform continues to attract millions of new users each month although the rate at which people are signing up is dropping, according to a new study by RJMetrics.
The number of new sign-ups to Twitter has decreased 20% since a peak in July last year, dropping from 7.8 million that month to 6.2 million in December. Those figures aren't exactly suggesting the downfall of the micro-blogging platform, far from it, it still remains a powerful communications channel.
Even so, only 17% of users tweeted during the month of December. Despite this, those who do use the Twitter are very engaged - particularly those who joined the network relatively recently, said Robert Moore of RJMetrics in a recent blog post.
I believe the main problem for Twitter users is finding a "use" for it. It has evolved in to an information dissemination service and business/media network more than it has a social hub.
The survey also concluded that 25% of accounts have no followers and 40% of accounts have never sent a single tweet. So-called "power users" - those who have tweeted more than 3,200 times - represent less than 10% of the current 75 million users.
From July 2009 through December 2009 the average number of followers of a Twitter user also dropped - from 42 to 27.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...