News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Twitter sign-up rate decreasing
To some, Twitter has become ingrained in everyday life. To others, it's a non-starter. Nonetheless, the micro-blogging platform continues to attract millions of new users each month although the rate at which people are signing up is dropping, according to a new study by RJMetrics.
The number of new sign-ups to Twitter has decreased 20% since a peak in July last year, dropping from 7.8 million that month to 6.2 million in December. Those figures aren't exactly suggesting the downfall of the micro-blogging platform, far from it, it still remains a powerful communications channel.
Even so, only 17% of users tweeted during the month of December. Despite this, those who do use the Twitter are very engaged - particularly those who joined the network relatively recently, said Robert Moore of RJMetrics in a recent blog post.
I believe the main problem for Twitter users is finding a "use" for it. It has evolved in to an information dissemination service and business/media network more than it has a social hub.
The survey also concluded that 25% of accounts have no followers and 40% of accounts have never sent a single tweet. So-called "power users" - those who have tweeted more than 3,200 times - represent less than 10% of the current 75 million users.
From July 2009 through December 2009 the average number of followers of a Twitter user also dropped - from 42 to 27.
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
- Brexit, Trump leave marketers skittish about targeting
- Email analysis reveals extent of email attacks on businesses
- Report IDs the next big tech products
- Brands: How to prep for the subscription economy
- Expert: What Buffett's Walmart sale means
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...