News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Twitter sign-up rate decreasing
To some, Twitter has become ingrained in everyday life. To others, it's a non-starter. Nonetheless, the micro-blogging platform continues to attract millions of new users each month although the rate at which people are signing up is dropping, according to a new study by RJMetrics.
The number of new sign-ups to Twitter has decreased 20% since a peak in July last year, dropping from 7.8 million that month to 6.2 million in December. Those figures aren't exactly suggesting the downfall of the micro-blogging platform, far from it, it still remains a powerful communications channel.
Even so, only 17% of users tweeted during the month of December. Despite this, those who do use the Twitter are very engaged - particularly those who joined the network relatively recently, said Robert Moore of RJMetrics in a recent blog post.
I believe the main problem for Twitter users is finding a "use" for it. It has evolved in to an information dissemination service and business/media network more than it has a social hub.
The survey also concluded that 25% of accounts have no followers and 40% of accounts have never sent a single tweet. So-called "power users" - those who have tweeted more than 3,200 times - represent less than 10% of the current 75 million users.
From July 2009 through December 2009 the average number of followers of a Twitter user also dropped - from 42 to 27.
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...