News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Twitter sign-up rate decreasing
To some, Twitter has become ingrained in everyday life. To others, it's a non-starter. Nonetheless, the micro-blogging platform continues to attract millions of new users each month although the rate at which people are signing up is dropping, according to a new study by RJMetrics.
The number of new sign-ups to Twitter has decreased 20% since a peak in July last year, dropping from 7.8 million that month to 6.2 million in December. Those figures aren't exactly suggesting the downfall of the micro-blogging platform, far from it, it still remains a powerful communications channel.
Even so, only 17% of users tweeted during the month of December. Despite this, those who do use the Twitter are very engaged - particularly those who joined the network relatively recently, said Robert Moore of RJMetrics in a recent blog post.
I believe the main problem for Twitter users is finding a "use" for it. It has evolved in to an information dissemination service and business/media network more than it has a social hub.
The survey also concluded that 25% of accounts have no followers and 40% of accounts have never sent a single tweet. So-called "power users" - those who have tweeted more than 3,200 times - represent less than 10% of the current 75 million users.
From July 2009 through December 2009 the average number of followers of a Twitter user also dropped - from 42 to 27.
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...