News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ABI Research: Mobile shopping worth $119 billion in 2015
A new report from ABI Research predicts that by 2015, shoppers are expected to spend over $100 billion on goods and services from their mobile phones.
Mobile shopping in the U.S. increased from about $369 million in 2008 to about $1.2 billion in 2009. In 2010 that figure is estimated to reach as much as $2.4 billion, according to ABI Research's report.
A whopping $119 billion is expected to be spent on mobile shopping in 2015.
"The driver for mobile online shopping in the US has been the recent sharp spike in smart-phone adoption and the corresponding enthusiasm for mobile Internet," said senior analyst Mark Beccue. "Also, many more retailers have been launching mobile commerce websites."
European mobile shopping revenues are expected to increase by a much higher rate than the U.S. The number of people across Europe who purchase goods and services from smart-phones and mobile devices is expected to surpass U.S. numbers by the end of this year.
Meanwhile, the Japanese market is already burgeoning and boasts a $10 billion mobile shopping market.
The predicted rise in mobile shopping isn't exactly unexpected. Numerous reports have shown a significant uptake of digital coupons and in-store use of mobiles to check products and prices.
In addition, the use of mobile phones to pay for online gaming features (virtual goods) and other small purchases, such as pizza or train tickets, has seen a rapid uptake, particularly among younger mobile users.
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....