News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
95% of traffic comes from first page of search results
New data from iCrossing proves what most SEO professionals have known since the inception of search engines - a brand's position on search engine result pages is everything.
Internet users trust that search engines will provide them with the best and most relevant results first and this is reflected in their search behavior. Many users tend not dig too deep into search results and instead rely on the first few pages presented.
Well, when I say "first few pages" what I really mean is the first page as it continues to drive the most traffic to websites. iCrossing's recent report says that just over 95% of all traffic received by the 10 clients they chose to study was captured by the first page of search results.
The number of click-throughs from pages 2 and 3 of search results were significantly less.
To illustrate - of the 8.9 million non-branded visitors tracked in the study just over 8.5 million came from the first page of search results (95.3%), just over 232,000 came from page two (8.7%) and around 180,000 came from page three onwards (1.7%).
According to Collin Cornwell, Vice President, Natural Search, iCrossing, "In order to compete for today's sophisticated online consumers, brands must have a deep understanding of how users arrive at their website, and the tools and know-how to optimize their site to stay in front of the consumer at every step of the purchase cycle."
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and a new release
- Top 3 tips to use a loyalty program to build engagement
- Fewer people report suffering with information overload than a decade ago
- Third of businesses globally under-prepared for digital transformation
- Expert: Tipping point for personalization is near
- Big brands found using 'dark UX' methods
- Video Roundup: New formats mean new opportunities
- Top 3 tips for chatbot, CSE integrations
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...