News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
95% of traffic comes from first page of search results
New data from iCrossing proves what most SEO professionals have known since the inception of search engines - a brand's position on search engine result pages is everything.
Internet users trust that search engines will provide them with the best and most relevant results first and this is reflected in their search behavior. Many users tend not dig too deep into search results and instead rely on the first few pages presented.
Well, when I say "first few pages" what I really mean is the first page as it continues to drive the most traffic to websites. iCrossing's recent report says that just over 95% of all traffic received by the 10 clients they chose to study was captured by the first page of search results.
The number of click-throughs from pages 2 and 3 of search results were significantly less.
To illustrate - of the 8.9 million non-branded visitors tracked in the study just over 8.5 million came from the first page of search results (95.3%), just over 232,000 came from page two (8.7%) and around 180,000 came from page three onwards (1.7%).
According to Collin Cornwell, Vice President, Natural Search, iCrossing, "In order to compete for today's sophisticated online consumers, brands must have a deep understanding of how users arrive at their website, and the tools and know-how to optimize their site to stay in front of the consumer at every step of the purchase cycle."
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...