News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
95% of traffic comes from first page of search results
New data from iCrossing proves what most SEO professionals have known since the inception of search engines - a brand's position on search engine result pages is everything.
Internet users trust that search engines will provide them with the best and most relevant results first and this is reflected in their search behavior. Many users tend not dig too deep into search results and instead rely on the first few pages presented.
Well, when I say "first few pages" what I really mean is the first page as it continues to drive the most traffic to websites. iCrossing's recent report says that just over 95% of all traffic received by the 10 clients they chose to study was captured by the first page of search results.
The number of click-throughs from pages 2 and 3 of search results were significantly less.
To illustrate - of the 8.9 million non-branded visitors tracked in the study just over 8.5 million came from the first page of search results (95.3%), just over 232,000 came from page two (8.7%) and around 180,000 came from page three onwards (1.7%).
According to Collin Cornwell, Vice President, Natural Search, iCrossing, "In order to compete for today's sophisticated online consumers, brands must have a deep understanding of how users arrive at their website, and the tools and know-how to optimize their site to stay in front of the consumer at every step of the purchase cycle."
- Demandbase: What won't happen in 2015
- Ecommerce Roundup: Shoppers findings leads on social media
- Report: Analysis high on B2Bers New Year List
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...