News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Did Facebook's traffic really trump Google's on key holiday dates?
According to a report from Hitwise, the social networking giant Facebook was the most popular website in America during certain days over the holiday period. Or was it?
Depending on how you look at the figures, Facebook outdid Google in the Internet traffic stakes during Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.
The figures, from Hitwise, aren't a huge surprise given that during the 2008 holiday period Facebook experienced a huge hike despite only having under half of its current 350 million users. This year it seems the social site's inflated population was obviously more interested in catching up with family and friends, exchanging holiday wishes and showcasing their Christmas photographs than searching the Internet.
However, as SearchEngineLand's Barry Schwartz points out, the Facebook data was only compared to Google's search engine traffic and not its other incarnations such as Gmail, Google News or Google Reader.
"That means pretty much Hitwise is comparing Facebook's overall traffic to only one aspect of Google, Google web search," writes Schwartz.
"Potentially, some visits to Google's personalized home page might also be in there. But also potentially, a chunk of Google traffic isn't being counted correctly. Add in the part of Google that weren't counted, and Google might still have been ahead."
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...