News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Did Facebook's traffic really trump Google's on key holiday dates?
According to a report from Hitwise, the social networking giant Facebook was the most popular website in America during certain days over the holiday period. Or was it?
Depending on how you look at the figures, Facebook outdid Google in the Internet traffic stakes during Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.
The figures, from Hitwise, aren't a huge surprise given that during the 2008 holiday period Facebook experienced a huge hike despite only having under half of its current 350 million users. This year it seems the social site's inflated population was obviously more interested in catching up with family and friends, exchanging holiday wishes and showcasing their Christmas photographs than searching the Internet.
However, as SearchEngineLand's Barry Schwartz points out, the Facebook data was only compared to Google's search engine traffic and not its other incarnations such as Gmail, Google News or Google Reader.
"That means pretty much Hitwise is comparing Facebook's overall traffic to only one aspect of Google, Google web search," writes Schwartz.
"Potentially, some visits to Google's personalized home page might also be in there. But also potentially, a chunk of Google traffic isn't being counted correctly. Add in the part of Google that weren't counted, and Google might still have been ahead."
- Ad Roundup: Platforms to improve data, prevent fraud
- Survey: SMBs getting out the vote
- Research reveals number of mobile loyalty schemes to double by 2020
- Laptops more popular than mobile for travel research
- Super Bowl: 82% of searches driven by TV ads made on mobile
- Super Bowl winners and losers
- Report: Time spent on mobile skewing to apps
- Study: Loyalty higher for mall-wide programs
Featured White Papers
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...