News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Did Facebook's traffic really trump Google's on key holiday dates?
According to a report from Hitwise, the social networking giant Facebook was the most popular website in America during certain days over the holiday period. Or was it?
Depending on how you look at the figures, Facebook outdid Google in the Internet traffic stakes during Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.
The figures, from Hitwise, aren't a huge surprise given that during the 2008 holiday period Facebook experienced a huge hike despite only having under half of its current 350 million users. This year it seems the social site's inflated population was obviously more interested in catching up with family and friends, exchanging holiday wishes and showcasing their Christmas photographs than searching the Internet.
However, as SearchEngineLand's Barry Schwartz points out, the Facebook data was only compared to Google's search engine traffic and not its other incarnations such as Gmail, Google News or Google Reader.
"That means pretty much Hitwise is comparing Facebook's overall traffic to only one aspect of Google, Google web search," writes Schwartz.
"Potentially, some visits to Google's personalized home page might also be in there. But also potentially, a chunk of Google traffic isn't being counted correctly. Add in the part of Google that weren't counted, and Google might still have been ahead."
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
- Retailers: Why you need live online assistance for the 2014 holidays
- Top 3 tips to create better transactional email messages
Featured White Papers
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...