News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
76% British mobile phone users don't use mobile Internet
With all the hype surrounding Internet-enabled smartphones you could be led to believe that everyone is walking around while surfing the web. If you were observing folk walking around the U.K. you'd be wrong, very wrong.
According to new figures released by U.K.-based research specialists Essential Research, over three-quarters (76%) of mobile phone users in the U.K. don't use their mobile to access the Internet.
In fact, 60% don't even own a mobile device capable of accessing the Internet, and only 30% of that group is interested in getting one.
For those that don't currently use mobile Internet, features such as checking real-time travel updates (33%), in-store offers (31%), grocery services (30%) and online banking functions (29%) were of most interest.
So what's holding back the British public from being connected to the Internet via their mobile devices? The research found that connection speed, the cost of mobile Internet and handset battery life were key barriers to use. However, it was also revealed that over half (57%) who attempted to log on via their mobiles found the experience unsatisfying and the technology too difficult to use.
"This type of research doesn't often see the light of day, and what we've found is pretty surprising news: there is an enormous gulf between the perceptions we hold about mobiles being a big part of our Internet lives and the reality," said Alex Charlton, Partner at Essential Research, in a recent announcement.
"In fact only a small percentage of us are truly Internet mobile users and the industry has a big job to do to move mobile Internet into our everyday lives."
Additional findings from the research include:
- 31% of smartphone owners have never used it to connect to the Internet.
- 86% of current mobile Internet users and 56% of non-mobile Internet users report they would be willing to use services via their mobile device.
- Social networkers are driving mobile Internet use with almost as many daily mobile Internet users (70%) using social media as they do on PCs (79%).
- 47% of mobile Internet users live in urban areas.
- 42% of mobile Internet users have a household income of over $65,000.
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....