News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Record ecommerce sales number reached
They predicted it and it has now happened: more than $900 million has now been spent in a single day of online shopping. According to the latest comScore information Green Tuesday (December 15) ecommerce sales reach $913 million.
That brings the total holiday spend, so far, to nearly ">$25 billion, a 4% increase over 2008 numbers. There have also now been nine individual shopping days which surpassed the $800 million mark.
"Going into this most recent week, we had anticipated that Monday or Tuesday would post the highest online spending total of the season and perhaps be the first day on record to surpass $900 million," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "Despite a disappointing start to the week, with sales on Monday of $854 million down 1 percent versus 2008, we were encouraged to see spending continue strongly throughout the balance of the work week, led by Tuesday's record $913 million. In fact, each day through Thursday December 17 - the last day that many online retailers would guarantee free shipping in time for Christmas - saw at least $800 million in spending, which suggests that savvy consumers may have been waiting for those last-minute deals."
Although these numbers are great, it is likely that spending will decrease dramatically this week as consumers only have three shopping days until Christmas Eve and most online hubs cannot guarantee delivery by Christmas Day at this point.
One interesting note about the 2009 holiday spend: Cyber Monday moved up in the ranks of highest shopping days. In years past Cyber Monday - the Monday after Thanksgiving - ranked in the ninth or tenth position but because of the shopping turnout, Cyber Monday moved into the second slot, behind only Green Tuesday, December 15, as the highest spending day.
All except one of the top ten spending days topped $800 million, with only December 2 falling below the $800 million mark; Wednesday, December 2 saw consumers spend $797 million in a single day.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...