News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
"Friending" brands egocentric, finds Razorfish
Have social marketers been kidding themselves that consumers "friend" brands on social media because they are passionate and want deep and meaningful relationships? Recent data suggests that perhaps all consumers really want from brands on social media is a good deal and great customer service.
When Razorfish surveyed 1,000 "connected consumers" about their digital habits and attitudes towards social media marketing, they found that promotions and discounts were primary drivers of "friending" a brand for over a third of social networking users and 44% of Twitter users. In other words, they were in the relationship for what they could get out of it.
"In hindsight, this makes perfect sense," says FEED: The 2009 Razorfish Digital Brand Experience Report (.pdf). "Dell has earned kudos from social media mavens for generating $3 million in sales from its Dell Outlet through Twitter. Starbucks has soared to the top of Facebook brand pages, with nearly 4 million friends, by offering fans coupons for free pastries and ice cream. And Whole Foods tops Twitter with 1.5 million followers by broadcasting weekly specials and shopping tips."
Customer service also ranked highly among social media users as a reason to follow brands - cited by 33% of social networking (Facebook/MySpace) users and 24% of Twitter users.
"These consumers, already customers, clearly are fans - there's little reason to "friend" a brand you're indifferent about, after all," continues the report. "For example, Comcast, Zappos, and Virgin have all earned high marks by using Twitter as a customer relationship management (CRM) tool, solving customer problems in real time and building loyalty through special offers."
- Blogs play an important role in the path to purchase
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....