News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
"Friending" brands egocentric, finds Razorfish
Have social marketers been kidding themselves that consumers "friend" brands on social media because they are passionate and want deep and meaningful relationships? Recent data suggests that perhaps all consumers really want from brands on social media is a good deal and great customer service.
When Razorfish surveyed 1,000 "connected consumers" about their digital habits and attitudes towards social media marketing, they found that promotions and discounts were primary drivers of "friending" a brand for over a third of social networking users and 44% of Twitter users. In other words, they were in the relationship for what they could get out of it.
"In hindsight, this makes perfect sense," says FEED: The 2009 Razorfish Digital Brand Experience Report (.pdf). "Dell has earned kudos from social media mavens for generating $3 million in sales from its Dell Outlet through Twitter. Starbucks has soared to the top of Facebook brand pages, with nearly 4 million friends, by offering fans coupons for free pastries and ice cream. And Whole Foods tops Twitter with 1.5 million followers by broadcasting weekly specials and shopping tips."
Customer service also ranked highly among social media users as a reason to follow brands - cited by 33% of social networking (Facebook/MySpace) users and 24% of Twitter users.
"These consumers, already customers, clearly are fans - there's little reason to "friend" a brand you're indifferent about, after all," continues the report. "For example, Comcast, Zappos, and Virgin have all earned high marks by using Twitter as a customer relationship management (CRM) tool, solving customer problems in real time and building loyalty through special offers."
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
- Ad Roundup: Analysis basis for releases, expansions
- Half of UK charities have no digital strategy
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...