News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
USPS: 63% of mail is advertising
It may come as a surprise - then again maybe not - that direct mail advertisers are competing against one another for the attention of a small number of households. According to a recent USPS study, nearly two-thirds (63%) of the mail received by households in the US was actually advertisements rather than cards, letters or postcards from friends.
Only about ">3% of the total mail sent/received in 2008 was from another consumer rather than an advertiser. Consumers are also receiving magazines/newspapers and communications from their banks and credit cards. Still, it is surprising that advertising accounts for such a high percentage of the mail sent. And it should serve as a warning to marketers.
What does this mean? For direct mail marketers, it means the information sent must grab attention, hold a good offer and stand out from the hundreds of other advertisements sent through the mail.
First, don't think these mailings can't be targeted. Although it is much harder to target an offline advertisement, there is data available to help narrow down the target for direct mailings. Options such as Dahlgren Buckley Dement's data procurement can help you figure out who should be targeted by your ad and who should be avoided.
Second, as with email marketing, cull your list. If a consumer has been a 'bounce' or has not responded to a mailing from you in several months, cull them from the list. Likewise, ensure that there are no duplicate addresses in your list as that will increase your cost at the post office.
Third, consider merging similar files to give consumers the best, most concise information available.
Finally, make them an offer they can't refuse. In addition to the 'offer' tell them why your product is better for them than competitor products, then reel them in with the best offer available.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...