News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nielsen/Facebook's 'Brand Lift' new beacon of hope for socnet advertising
Facebook has partnered with Nielsen to launch a new system that will ultimately give marketers insight in to the value of advertising on the social network while at the same time ditching a controversial forerunner.
Advertising is key to Facebook's survival. It's the key revenue generator for the business. Until Facebook can convince marketers of the effectiveness of ads on Facebook, and obtain feedback from their members as to the type of ads that work, their scope for increasing revenues is limited.
Hence Facebook's partnership with Nielsen, and the launch of their first offering - "Brand Lift". The platform will poll opted-in Facebook users on ads they see on the social networking website and gauge their sentiments while measuring "aided awareness, ad recall, message association, brand favorability, and purchase consideration". That data will be packaged up by Nielsen and presented to marketers.
"The combination of our unique ability to quickly and effectively poll a sample of our more than 300 million users and Nielsen's expertise in data analysis will give marketers access to powerful data they can use to understand and improve current and future campaigns," said Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg.
Brand Lift will launch in the U.S. with a small selection of test partners this week and is expected to roll out to all Facebook advertisers within the next few months. The ability to measure the medium and justify social media spend based on solid data will be welcomed by those marketers who plan to increase social media activity in the coming year.
Meanwhile, Facebook is reported to have dropped their original, controversial opt-out service, Beacon, as part of a lawsuit settlement.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...