News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
PQ Media: WOM spend to reach $3 billion
Over the next four years, marketers are expected to expand their word of mouth (WOM) advertising spend. According to a new forecast from PQ Media, the WOM spend will slow by 10% in 2009 but by 2013 will still reach $3 billion.
In 2008 brands spend just over 14% of their ad budgets on WOM ($1.54 billion). Despite the slowdown in 2009, WOM advertising remains a big part of advertisers online approach. Over the next four years WOM spending growth is expected to be one of the fastest growing in the online categories, reaching $3 billion by 2013.
"The most influential marketer in a consumer's life is someone they know and trust, such as a family member, friend or colleague," said Patrick Quinn, President and CEO of PQ Media. "This report shows that brands value and invest in word-in-mouth. Our research indicates that brands are allocating more of their budgets to long-term word-of-mouth campaigns, executing effective online and offline activities that resonate with consumers and their core groups."
In 2008 brand packaged goods marketers (food and drink brands) accounted for about 40% of the WOM spend, but over the next few years even more brand categories will latch on to the WOM craze, hoping to create a loyal online - and offline - following of buyers.
"All of our members - the major brands, agencies and technology companies - have felt this new surge now in word of mouth marketing. Recession or not, our research and our experience clearly tell us that marketers see word of mouth marketing and social media marketing as essential," said John Bell, President of the board at WOMMA. "Done well and ethically, the trust, credibility and impact it builds is unsurpassed."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...